cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Losing my mind

Jump to solution

I’ve been on 7mg patches for over 3 weeks now and the withdrawl is the worst it’s ever been.  I’ve called quit coaches, seen a doctor (mine was not available so so this one got into tests and scary stuff) and I know it is exactly when I dropped from 14’s to 7’s.  I’m very confused as to why my body hasn’t adapted better.  One quit coach suggested  this   Is the actual quit as the 14’s had me at my smoking level.  Not to ever invalidate anyone’s quit, but I did read having an anxiety disorder complicates this more.  Makes sense what was once under control with meds change combined with the anxiety that comes with withdrawl anyw ay.  I guess this is a redundant topic for me.  Sorry about that. Just so tired of feeling loony tunes and wanting to rip my hair out.  I guess I could go back to 14’s and see what that does.  But that means facing this again possibly.  Has anyone had this last longer than the so called norm?  I figured 2 weeks or so of it being very tough, but this is getting unbearable.  The sweats are one of the worst symptoms to emerge as well as extreme impatience with tasks and people.

39 Replies
BugsNBats14

Thank you very much for your expertise in your response. I actually have a

doctor appointment this afternoon. I have also gained 36 pounds in 2 months

and don't feel as if I have eaten that much more. Going to run some blood

test and see what's up.

How long did it take you to become feeling normal? I see you have been 5

months... congratulations!

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019, 12:40 PM Mmaria55 <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

0 Kudos
Mmaria55

You're very welcome  

And thank you as well!

I too have found myself back in the

"Under Active Thyroid" club!

I seem to have a nodule on my thyroid causing trouble. After 2 months on Levothyroxine 25 mcg, my TSH blood test level was even HIGHER, necessitating increasing my med dose to 50 mcg yesterday.

BUT ..... the nodule is "nothing to worry about ... NOW". It's wreaking havoc on my thyroid apparently, but I shouldn't worry about it. 

Uh-huh.

Oh, and I'm not supposed to worry about the 2 tumors in my right LUNG, NOR the 1 in my left. They also were discovered yesterday in my Lung CAT Scan Screening. 

***** FYI, ANYONE who smoked 30 or more years AND is 55 or older is ENTITLED TO a Screening Lung CAT Scan.*******

It's part of the same law written into the ACA (AKA "Obamacare") that REQUIRES all smoking cessation aids, patches, gum, lozenges and medications, i.e. - Wellbutrin and Chantix, to be FREE. NO charge. NO Co-pays.

None. Nada.

THANKS, Obama!

Soooo ... Yesterday's PCP visit was an informative one!

Soooo ... I made a DECISION, ME, MYSELF, I, not results from some tests or some doctor's opinions, ME. 

That decision is NOT TO WORRY about the 4 tumors hanging out in my body, uninvited I may add. They are here already. No choice. And there is at least 2 outcomes, neither one of them in my control. They either go away as quietly as they came, or, they don't, and they get bigger and malignant. Can't change either outcome regardless, so WHY stress over any of it. Seems like a waste of time and energy.

Eventually, we all leave this world as a result of some disease process, accident or incident. As a retired 10 year Hospice Care Manager, I know if it's a disease that does the deed, after I've exhausted all my options, I'll go with love, compassion and EXCELLENT pain medications covering the comfort angle.

Comparatively, If I get hit by a bus, or meet  some other type of "She never saw it coming" demise, it will be fine, because apparently, I never saw it coming.

I prefer to concern myself with playing, feeding (I'm Italian. Lol) laughing and LOVING UP my 2 year old granddaughter and 8 year old grandson.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Or even the big stuff!

Be the best YOU that YOU can be.

OR, be a cranky, whiney, leave me alone, YOU, once in a while. Everyone who loves and cares for you will get over it.

All the nonsense IS going to end eventually.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. ☄️(Get on the train and relax)

YOU GOT THIS.

Michelle Maria

Daniela2016

Oh dear, Mmaria55‌, we should have our own group here called maybe "Lo Thyroid"!!!  I hope your doctor will eventually find the right dosage.  When I was first diagnosed, 2 years ago, my dosage was changing every couple of weeks or so, going up all the time.  Eventually I was on "maintenance" at .15 MG, and in the last 6 months I keep lowering it (doctor recommended, not self), I think I am at something like .117/day.  One thing which worked for me was switching to the Synthroid (branded) from the generic.  Just sharing my own experience with it, your doctor would know. Happy you are here with us

Gwenivere

I had to switch to Armor for th T3 factor.  Still is a frustrating thing to find the right dose.  I read quitting challenges once stable hypo people.  It seems to be additives that mess things up.  All I know is is it’s an extra challenge  top of a big one. 

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

I have no intention of cutting patches.  Maybe you have me confused with someone else as I read that is a very bad idea.  My doc did increase my anxiety meds.  I do overthink things so have been trying to cut back on that.  I don’t want any pills, I take so many others and they sound risky for side effects.  But thank you Mmaria55 for you caring enough to offer your thoughts.  

Barb102

This quit and final by the way, I used the patches. My doc had me stay longer on each one. I did that and it worked for me everyone is different. You need to find what works for you. Noypt what worked for someone else. This is your quit. I know you can do this   We are here to support you in whatever way you chose to maintain your quit. Always keep in mind that it will get better. Sending kind thoughts your way

Daniela2016

Dear Gwenivere‌, I have a bad liver; Armor increased the liver enzymes (AST, ALT) horribly; at some point the diagnosis was mild cirrhosis of non-alcoholic origins.  It was "downgraded" by Mayo clinic as sclerosis level II, and the biochemical identical (Synthroid) was recommended, rather than Armor which is a pig extract.  The T3 is supplemented with Lyothironine.  This combo allowed the liver to come back to almost normal values as of 3 days ago.  And yes, I research a lot what was happening to me when I quit, and I found some studies speaking about a component of Nicotine which has anti-inflammatory effects.  But if you think of the other benefits of quitting, this small "support" from Nicotine seems insignificant in the big scheme of things. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4002379/ 

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

Daniela2016‌, I can’t really make sense of the article.  It seemed to me they were more talking about smoking as a delivery system than nicotine itself.  The medical speak was over my head, I’m afraid.  It sounded pro and con on that.  Is there a dumbed down version or could you explain what the conclusion was?

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Gwenivere   From the many articles I read on the subject, Nicotine has an anti-inflammatory effect, as well as keeping anti-bodies at bay, preventing auto-immune disease, or helping if they have already been diagnosed.  But as you guessed it well, there is pro and con against the theory, the studies too limited for the medical community to actually recognize any positive effects of Nicotine.  Combine with that the terrible effects of the actual smoking on the body, and you would guess right I'd rather deal with Hashimoto's than continue to smoke.  The only reason I researched it, is that when the auto-immune disease hit me, and no one seemed to be able to say what is wrong, it just seemed too coincidental to have started about 6 months after I quit smoking. And that also made me think of my grand ma, who had a skin condition when she was about 14, so that would have been in year 1915, her doctor recommended she starts smoking.  Her condition disappeared, but she was hooked for life, and died at 73 of a heart condition related to smoking.

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

Daniela2016‌, I also read many people get hypothyroidism after quitting.  I had it alread but can tell it’s manifesting in different ways, even tho I am using NRT's.   I wouldn’t go back to smoking for it, of course.  But it is frustrating.  Back in the early1900’s they were using lots of dangerous drugs like cocaine and opium.  We’ve come a long way there.