cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

paula12

Just arrived here

I'm working on my first 24 hours. I'm at work now and need something to do besides go outside and smoke. I'm on the patch and unlike previous times, I decided to take their advice and join a support group. I've tried many times before and have been off cigs 2 days, on 5; off 1 day on 20; off 7 days back on, blah, blah, blah. But this time I really, really, want to stop. Any and all suggestions are welcome
0 Kudos
59 Replies
lynn14

Welcome to the board. The other day when I went to my doc to get a Chantix prescrription, we were talking about this and tht and he happened to mention a lot of people end up in the emergency room when they wear the patch and smoke, so please..........don't even think about smoking with the patch. It's so dangerous. I wish you all the luck in the word in beating your addiction. YOU CAN DO IT!! Have you considered the lozenges or, perhaps, the nicotine inhaler?
0 Kudos
SuzanneMills

I smoked for over 35 years. I quit smoking 3 weeks ago. I thought I was doing ok, until the past few days with crying out of nowwhere. I know live meetings help. (I quit drinking 16 years ago), only by the help of others. Wondering where I can find a meeting near me.
0 Kudos
icanquit

Stay Strong..

Blog it out.
0 Kudos
Susan59

Paula,

I found that reading all I could about quitting smoking helped alot. www.whyquit.com has hours and hours of videos. There you can also find the free ebook 'Never take another puff' by Joel. He does not agree with using any medication but all the stuff in his book and on his site totally helped me to stay strong. When you read about what smoking does to your body, or about what happens when you quit it will make you stay strong. Mints help too. Also come to this site often. Chat with others or blog your feelings,

You can do this but remember you can never take another puff! You are a nic addict just like I am. You will always be one puff away from a pack a day. It may seem harsh but it is the truth.

You can do this. Stay strong.

Susan - Free and Healing for One Month, Twenty Four Days, 21 Hours and 46 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1006 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $289.99.
0 Kudos
swaymyway

Paula... That's why I'm on here now.. I want to go smoke so bad but I just can't... and I won't... I'm tired of cigarettes dictating to me how I'm going to live my life... IT'S YOUR LIFE!!

I keep telling myself "NO ONE TELLS ME WHAT TO DO AND I AM NO GIVING IN TO THIS ONE... I AM STRONGER AND BETTER THAN THAT"..

Good Luck Sister!

0 Kudos
allmylove

These first few days you really need to keep yourself busy.  Clean the house, wash the dishes, walk in the clean air, or even take the stairs a few times.  You can really start to feel how much easier your lungs are getting even in the first week or two. 

This morning for some reason I was having a hard morning (like the other mornings this week havn't been hard right?), so I looked up on the internet pictures of smokers lungs and pictures of lungs with emphasema.  I just had to remind myself of why I can't, as if all my patients using extra  oxygen and breathing treatments after years of smoking havn't reminded me yet.

Just keep talking to us, there has been people on here all the time.  And we have all felt the same thing you are feeling now.

0 Kudos
laney4

I stopped for 3 years once, only using the patches the first 3 days to take off the edge.  Unfortunately that time I quit for someone else and their health.  This time I quit for my own... before it's too late.  I spoke with a ex-smoking at the american cancer society (they also have a support group) who has been quit for 19 years.  He told me to go thru the entire 8 week program of patches.  This time I will. 

I think we all have triggers are the means to stop for one is different from another.  What does your intuition tell you to do, for yourself, to quit?  Listen to that and keep us posted.

0 Kudos
dlb5683

I quit smoking cold turkey for nine days.  Last night, I bought a pack of cigarettes.  I was going to smoke only one.  Now, I have almost finished the pack!  I am starting over AGAIN tomorrow.

0 Kudos
cherokee4

hey every one this is not my first rodeo but my hardest! i've went and gotten chantx it really does work! and i will make it and so will you just stay strong!!! keep God in sight and you can do anything!

0 Kudos