cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ivan_EU

I QUIT

Yesterday I stopped smoking. Day 1. It is tough. But I am glad to be free. I truly hope it will carry on!

Tags (1)
167 Replies

Hey Congratulations!

Are they thoughts of smoking or are you craving nicotine?

johnnyRingo5

Congratulations, Ivan. 

Things may be tough early on but try to focus on the positives of quitting.  There is nothing positive about smoking - only negative.  The longer you go without a cigarette, the better you will feel physically and mentally.  Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can possibly do.

Keep up the great work.

0 Kudos
Nymous

Congratulations.  

Keep on fighting. You can do it. Quitting smoking gets easier after the first few days. The first few days might seem terrible, insurmountable but it definitely can be overcome. During the first few days the feelings of "wanting" a cigarette and "craving" a cigarette might be confusing. Whatever it is do not take a puff. Every time you feel  like you want a cigarette  resist it for a few minutes. I downloaded a game called Lumosity , there are some interesting brain games in it, one of my friend told me that those games activate your brain and also have a side effect of releasing dopamine. Dont know how true it is but it keeps me occupied whenever i have a craving. I try to beat my best scores. 

Try different things and see what clicks for you.

And ..drink lots of wate and  fresh  raw veggies during the first few days

0 Kudos
karenjones

Give yourself a huge pat on the back. you have done a really good thing for your life and living. I am on my 7th day non-smoking and each day is precious. it is called your 'quit' and it belongs to you. Protect it with your life, because it is giving you your life. you are working towards your freedom, liberation.!!! Wow, it is great feeling. The Who ( Roger Daltrey) "I'm Free" (Tommy 1975) - YouTube 

0 Kudos
Bdwallhau

Hi, Ivan_EU‌. Today is day 25 of my quit, so I'm pretty new at it. There are all kinds of opinions and ways to do this, but I'll toss my hat in the lozenge-or-gum ring. In my first few days, the lozenges were super helpful, along with hard candy, gum, and so much ice water I thought I'd float away. I didn't use lozenges as directed on the box--about 9 a day--but maybe used 3 or 4 those first few days instead. It still helped with the cravings. Do what you need to do to get through those first few days. They're tough, but so worth it. I'm less than a month in, and the improvement in how I feel is far better than I could ever have hoped or imagined. I haven't coughed once since day 2. Pretty amazing.

Congratulations on your decision. You can do this. And the pride you'll feel when conquering it will keep you going. 

-Dawn

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

Welcome! Keep this in the back pocket of your mind when you feel any temptation....

WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU.......!!!

Miles of Smiles..........................

KingPinner BobbyGinnings

missellen

Welcome Ivan and congrats on quitting. I'm very early in my quit, too, and this place has been invaluable.  Tons and tons of support, reading material, advice and just goodness.  Post often, especially if you're feeling overwhelmed or stressed about the quit.

I've noticed in myself that the cravings, emotions and physical effects seem to come in waves.  I'll be trucking along, feeling okay and then, suddenly a wave crashes over me that I have to ride out--that's usually when I come running here. It helps, a lot.   

Hang in there!

--Ellen

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

This is a very interesting article and actually once I STOPPED SMOKING I automatically craved these foods....Weird!

I hope it helps.......

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/5-amazing-foods-flush-nicotine-body.html 

Smiles......

0 Kudos
Ivan_EU

Honestly I never expected to meet so many wonderful and supportive people. Thank you soo much! 

Well I have cravings for nicotine I think. It seems to me that in my case psychological addiction is not so problematic, but sometimes I feel like buzzes in my stomach. I think it is connected with nicotine.

0 Kudos

So you are not using a nicotine replacement then?

If you are not, the nicotine is out of your body in three days but it takes 2-3 weeks for your body to somewhat normalize. The digestive system seems to last the longest of the initial physical symptoms as peristalsis seems to be aided by nicotine.

0 Kudos