cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

james10

I NEED SOME SUPPORT

HEY EVERYONE....I QUIT YESTERDAY....AND IT IS REALLY HARD....I COULD USE SOME SUPPORT FROM YOU GUYS...O THOUGHT IS WOULD BE EASIER...I HAVE DONE SOME HARD STUFF IN MY LIFE....BUT THIS IS NUTS...IF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN TAKE A FEW MIN...TO GIVE ME A SHOUT I'D APPRECIATE IT...I'LL TRY TO DO THE SAME....
0 Kudos
11 Replies
sherri10

Hey James!

The first week is the hardest! Just hang in there. I don't know what kind of stuff you're feeling, but I'll tell you what I did for mine.

EVERYSINGLE TIME I wanted a cigarette, I chewed gum and/or I smoked a straw. I'm totally serious when I say that actually going through the motion of 'smoking' with a straw instead seriously relieved my cravings. And I swear, now when I used to crave a cigarette, I crave gum now instead. It's so bad I actually freaked out when I went to stock up on gum and they were out of my brand!

For anxiety and depression I got lots of exercise. That was the only thing that helped with those feelings!

And spending a lot of time here has been immensely helpful!! I spent/ spend a lot of time in the game room getting to know people here. I have made some good friends here and it has really helped a lot!
0 Kudos
jen-x

I'm at 15 days myself. It is nuts. It is hard. Remember to breathe......
A craving only lasts 3 minutes.
You may cry, scream, yell, sing, kick the furnature.
Day One is crucial and horrendous.
Day Two is also crucial and horrendous, but a bit easier. Just a bit.
Day Three not quite as bad as two.
The good news is if you think about you do feel a bit better. Smells are more aromatic. Not as much rumbling in the chest and running up stairs - if you had the energy would be a tad easier.
YOU can do this.
Breathe...........
Keep in touch.
Breathe............
0 Kudos
polly2

Hey James! The first few days are a bear, no doubt. I think what has helped me the most (day 7 here), has been positive thinking and awareness of thoughts. When I get a craving (they seem to come and go in waves), I tell myself that smoking is not an option. Once I have that thought, I know there are no excuses and I can't play headgames with myself! I've been sucking on cinnamon sticks, drinkng lots of water, cutting out a lot of caffeine, eating carrots and oranges. I've also relied very heavily on this site for support, information and to help others like you, knowing just how you feel. It does get a little better each day! I haven't tried it, but have also heard that putting vic vapor rub under your nose can help cravings as well. Take it an hour at a time if you have to...I made it the last hour, I can make it one more... I hope this helps you! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
0 Kudos
james10

I CANT TELL YOU HOW MUCH YOU HELPED ME AND HOW KIND YOU ARE FOR WRITING TO A COMPLETE STRANGER...I REALLY FEEL STRONGER FROM READING YOUR WORDS OF INCORAGEMENT AND IDEAS....THAT YOU SO MUCH LOVELY....
0 Kudos
james10

Thank you so much
0 Kudos
james10

THANK YOU SO MUCH....YOUR BEING SO GOOD TO ME.....I KNOW I AM ACTING LIKE IM SPECIAL OR SOMETHING BUT IT MADE ME FEEL GOOD TO HEAR YOUR WORDS...,.THANKS SWEETS
0 Kudos
donna22

Hey James, Congratulations on your quit...it does get easier, much easier I think. I smoked for 30+ years and quit on June 3...I am so glad I did....I feel so much better, smell better, have more money.

When I first quit I spent so much time on here, reading blogs in the game room etc. I really feel that is why I have been so successful...there is always someone here to give you a little advice if you want it and support you along the way...

I'm here if you need me, just holler...
0 Kudos
james10

your awsome...this site makes me feeld great....and with all of u guys....i know i can
0 Kudos
james10

what did u mean that i will feel better in a few hours
0 Kudos