cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sorice1

How long before i stop craving a cigarette? Driving me crazy, i just keep thinking about it

How long before i stop craving a cigarette? 

35 Replies

I’m on day 5. The thought of smoking creeps into my head. I have to shake it off quickly. I cannot smoke. I tell myself it will kill me.  A fleeting picture of me enjoying a cigarette but I know that’s the addiction thinking. It’s hard but I’m sticking to it. Had to come here and type. Thx. 

Barbscloud

Congrats on 5+ days smoke free.  Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Barb

Peggy40

So grateful to be 18 days off cigarettes! It really is a mental obsession. I love all the wisdom in the support on the page. I so glad we are all on this journey together and we aren’t alone

Maki

I saved this in my library .. it was a good one for me to read when I wondered when it would get easier . I continue to thank Dan1 for what I think is an amazing post . 

When Does It Get Easier?

From Danl1 Repost

"When I noticed I was here to quit, and so any contrary thought had to be some kind of mistake... It got better.

When I stopped saying `craving` when I meant `I feel like crap from decades of poisoning myself`... It got better.

When I stopped saying `I need a smoke` when I meant `I`m stressed and need to relax`... It got better.

When I noticed that a bunch of my stress was caused by struggling against wanting to do something that I didn`t want to do any longer... It got better.

When I understood it wasn`t cigarettes that I wanted, but only some of what they provided... It got better.

When I realized that almost all of what smoking provided was relief from symptoms caused by smoking (so not smoking at all was the way to fix it)... It got better.

When I noticed that everything else smoking provided I could have without killing myself or wasting my cash or time... It got better.

When I saw that the simple joys of living free beat the pants off of the best smoking had to offer... It got better.

When I saw that the tailpipe of a city bus smelled better and had far fewer poisons... It got better.

When I realized that I was not depressed about `missing my buddies` or going crazy, but instead experiencing a temporary chemical imbalance that made me feel depressed, irritable, or anxious... It got better.

When I realized that the problem was not with my willpower, motivation, or commitment - that the problem was with believing smoking`s lies and misunderstanding my body`s messages... It got better.

When I understood that addiction meant that with just one puff I would fall back in, not that I had to live with desire or craving for one second longer than I chose to... It got better.

The things that really make a quit are those moments when you realize that the whole idea of smoking was a collection of false beliefs, mistakes, and misunderstandings.

Once you see the truth, smoking ceases to be an issue. Chemistry and habit may grind at you for a few more weeks, but smoking will never again be a threat, never again be something that is desired. You will be free."

So you see it has no bearing on time but on attitude and knowledge and believing the truth thats when it all gets better!!

Peggy40

I love this Maki! I'm going to place it in my library too.

Peggy

green1611

More you keep thinking about smoking, cravings will sit on your head.

Less you keep thinking about smoking, cravings will come down slowly.

It is mental game, keep up enthusiasm of NOPE, cravings will die.....

All the best !