cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sorice1

How long before i stop craving a cigarette? Driving me crazy, i just keep thinking about it

How long before i stop craving a cigarette? 

35 Replies
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Any reason is a good one to quit.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 3 days of freedom.  You have come to the right place for support.  God will help you as long as you are willing to let it go and do the work that is required.  He will give you strength to get through the hard times.  Trust that this will be a forever quit this time.  Education is the key to a successful quit.  Read the suggested material.  Read the blogs, research, come here as often as possible.  It is not by will power but willingness.  God gives us a free choice.  So choose freedom from nicotine.  Welcome. You are not alone. 

0 Kudos
SuzyQ411

I liked your phrase "It is not by will power but willingness", JACKIE1-25-15‌; I am 10 months quit and this is the first time I have heard it put this way. As I face continued emotional-related cravings and work toward my goal to stop using nicotine gum as a replacment when those cravings do come, I will remember this. And choose to be willing.

0 Kudos
elvan

Hannahkim12345‌ It wasn't easy for me either but after over 6 1/2 years smoke free, I am so glad I quit.  It did get easier but, unfortunately my body is not very forgiving.  Deep breath in through the nose, hold it and exhale slowly through pursed lips, drink water, it helps, so does blowing bubbles.  If you exhale too quickly or too hard, you don't get any bubbles.  Keep it up, you are right, you CAN do this, one day at a time.

Ellen

Linn2331

Jen_819 's Blog‌ day 17 and yesterday was a monster off and on. I even cried but this part is in our heads. The physical is done. I just keep thinking since I have come this far I want to hang on. It is tough but we need to get into our heads and tell it to STOP. Yes. It works. Congrats and hang in. !

Omg that was so funny! Thanks for that!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Hannahkim12345 One of my all-time favorite Newhart skits!  Glad you liked it1

Hi Sorice1‌, glad you're here. I saw this post and your other one that you're still smoking and you're quit date is October 5th. Are you cutting back in preparation of quitting? If so, I'd recommend not prolonging that time frame too much. I also cut back before I quit, but only for a week or two before. It did help me be prepared to quit altogether. But I've done that in the past and 'cut back' for too long and in my opinion it made quitting worse. By the time your quit date gets here you might have the attitude that you've been depriving yourself for a month already, and have prolong the withdrawal to a month plus. This is just my opinion, do what's best for you, we're here to support you. PS please don't view it as you're deprived of something when you quit, you are giving yourself a great gift, not losing anything. 

maryfreecig

It'll be a little while, but until then spend time with quitters on Ex. We know how annoying it is to decide to quit and then have cravings!!! You can find your quit one day at a time by not smoking and trying a little harder than you thought you were able. Welcome to Ex.