cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Brittney4

How I quit and why it worked!

Well if any of you have been reading the blogs in the forum, I'm sure you've seen something from me. I'm using this website as one of my mind blockers from smoking so I'm on here all day 😉

When I first joined this website (about a week ago) I started posting blogs and asking a ton of questions to people that had already quit to find out just what was working and what wasn't. I had posted a blog (go find it, the reply's are great) about quitting on or before my vacation. I thought if I set my quit date on a day where I had a lot going on, it would work better for me. I just needed another 'smoker' to agree with me. I got a reply that hit home. It wasn't sweet and it wasn't gentle (which was a good thing for me) it was tough love and tough support. it was what I needed to hear. I was told, 'why wait?' 'why not quit right now'. I responded to that by giving all the reasons I just couldn't do it today. I was told I was making excuses and you know what, I was. I went back and read everything I had put in there and it was all excuses. To make this long story shorter... I went straight outside, smoked a cig, came inside and I was done. I haven't picked up a cig since June 18th at 2:45pm Mountain Time.

What I want everyone to know is if you really WANT to quit... meaning there isn't a little voice in your head saying you can't or you won't make it, then you can quit and it will be so easy for you! I have only had 2 cravings since I quit and never once did I even think about picking up a cig, I just tried to turn all negative thoughts into positive ones and thought why I didn't want to smoke any more! I ended up going to bed by the way... sometimes the cravings are too strong to beat so going to bed was my best option... Plus I am very rested 😉

I wanted to say some of the things that have worked for me.

1) this website! It's great!
2) Reading
3) Chewing Gum
4) Chewing Straws
5) Going to the gym (2 times a day 🙂 )
6) Snacking on sunflower seeds
7) Going through all of my old pictures and putting them in albums
😎 Cleaning
9) Cooking large difficult meals
10) just being optamistic and keeping my irritation under control!
11) Get support from family memebers (or friends) it helps a ton!
12) drinking water/juice
13) Brushing my teeth a ton to keep the minty flavor in my mouth (food makes me want to smoke so if I can not taste food, I won't want to smoke)

I encourage everyone else who's quit or in the process to post things that have worked for them. Together maybe we can all get a few more people to quit smoking for good!!!
0 Kudos
94 Replies
jason-wendt

I want to say congrats and it is people like you that help keep sites like this up and interesting. In my profile it says "No one ever died from quitting smoking." I want you to remember this it does help.
Also exercising after quitting feels great!
0 Kudos
peter-s.

I haven't followed these ideas closely. Every day it is perfect to do anything . Don't smoke, for numerous reasons.
You know the reasons. Life is good. Children, Wife, Husband, friends and Family. Why have a stupid little cancer
nail tell you what to do ? Odds are your children, spouse and family are telling the truth, "Quit and Live." DO IT !
Hello Sarah ! You're putting it all together. Let's have a fun smoke free summer. Rock and roll. Peace.

sm
0 Kudos
polly2

Putting a dab of baking soda on your tongue neutralizes remnants of food, drink, etc. It can help with cravings!

Polly
0 Kudos
jennifer55

Nevr thought about it that way before. That is a good way to think. Time for me to end this negative relationship. Can you file divorce with cigarettes???LOL
0 Kudos
polly2

Awesome quote -- I will make signs and put them up where I can see them! Thanks Jason!

Polly
0 Kudos
chester

it's funny as I read this I realize it is true. Just a few days before I quit I signed a sheet of paper to join the quit-smoking club in my office, but I actually told the woman "who am i kidding, i'm in total denial, truth is, I'm not ready to quit."
fast forward one week later when i ran out of cigarettes and I just said, this is it. it's enough. it was like magic!
0 Kudos
chester

Magic! The kind that will let us live longer!

hwc, keep it up!
😄
0 Kudos
banter

Hi Britney,

Please read this on getting others to quit, it's helped me when I wanted to help my Mom quit.

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_05_help_family_quit.html

Are you thinking about signing up at the freedom board? This site is great for support but for cold turkey quitters the whyquit site and board are the best place to get knowledge. Any topic that I or someone else I've talked to is covered on that site.

You do not have nicotine in your system anymore Brittney!
0 Kudos
veronica2

This is good...I also had so much resolve to quit that really the "little voice" was squashed. I think this played the biggest part in my decision. The first few week were "psychologically" challenging. I was more irritable and depressed as a result of my number 1 coping mechanism no longer being there. It helped to talk with a friend who had not yet quit but she was really supportive. The brushing teeth you mentioned is great....I too have a great set of teeth and am so pleased to keep them white and bright....Cleaning? Ohhhh yes....I do that...it really helps...it is physical, it is a focused task-helps a lot. Working out - yes....I have always worked out and then "secretly" smoked...I have noticed an improvement in my work outs. Thanks
0 Kudos
veronica2

Yeah, it is very strange. For years I never thought I would have this resolve. It just clicked one weekend last year. Being sick also motivated me...I had had some type of upper resp. cold and of course could not even smoke...so I just sat that there and realized how embarrassed and ashamed I had been feeling for years being a smoker...and a liar to those who did not know me and to what extent I was addicted. I was tired of lying to myself and a lot of people...So, I agree...that highly motivated light switch turned on and thank goodness it remains on. Thanks.
0 Kudos