cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

chantilly871

Hi

Hello Everyone,

I just joined and started reading some posts. I have battled with myself and cigs for so long now I can't even remember for sure how many times I quit and started again! I have athsma, have been intubated for 11 days and still, I go back to the cigs. I'm frustrated with myself for this and realize it's got to be it this time. No more going back and starting this process over again.

I've quit cold turkey and with the patch but always avoided a support group or classes. Not enough money, not enough time, I don't need that kind of help...always an excuse. I'm hoping this time will be different with the help of all of you!

My quit date was going to be Feb. 14th but this site says I may not be ready till March 15th...so, that's my quit date. It seems like a long time away but I know that it'll be here before I know it.

Thanks,

Chant

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cinderella528

Hi Chant,

I'm new here too...just started tracking, but set my quit date to 2/7/10...maybe I skipped some steps, but how did the site tell you you aren't ready?

Thanks!

Cyndi

0 Kudos
chantilly871

Hi Cyndi,

Well, I went to set my quit date on the calendar and it said that based on my answer to the profile questions I should think about waiting until March. Maybe because I've tried so many other times without success? I know based on a lot of things I've read they say you should wait two weeks from today and get you mind set for it. Did you go to the calendar at all?

Also, I don't see you on my friends list. Do you know how to accept?

Take Care,

Chant

0 Kudos
cactusf1ower

I set my quit date for Feb. 10th and it told me I need to wait till March 10th. I am keeping that in mind but still keeping track of what i smoke everyday and think MAYBE I can stick with the date that I chose. I chose that date because I will have 5 days off from work , 3 of which the kids will be at school all day so i can stay in bed and have a good cry or throw things if I need to ( hehe just kidding).  Just follow the exercises and try to cut back on your smoking and thinking about why you're smoking. I started on jan 29th and that first day I tracked 21 cigs, today is the 1st of Feb and by the time I go to bed I will have entered between 10 and 12 cigs. it has helped to make a list of things I want to do in the morning.... it's really not so hard to clean up your room first thing when you get up or get ready for work BEFORE you have that first smoke.. I put it off for a whole hour this morning and if you feel the urge and it's 1:30... see if you can put it off till 2:00... gum or hard candy like left over candycanes broke up into smaller pieces help while you watch the clock. from 11 am on today all my smoking breaks have been every 2 hours. it kind of helps that I got annoyed with the tracking clock making choose an hour and I hate trying to pick which hour to choose when I went an hour and a half . Ok I feel like I'm just rattling on now so I wish you all the best of luck and keep reading the messages and blogs, I am finding sometimes it helps .

0 Kudos
ceci

Same here.  I just signed up last night and it gave me the quit date as 3/15 also.  Other quitting programs I have tried seem to want to you to plan like at least 1 week in advance.  When I tried to pick 2/15 it mentioned something about tracking cigarettes and I guess they want you to do that for a couple of weeks first.  

Any suggestions on tracking cigarettes? 

0 Kudos
chantilly871

Cactus Flower:

Thanks and I like that idea of making a list in the morning. I do find the times I have been able to quit that I can accomplish more with my day!

Ceci:

This cite has a cigarette tracker and you can access it with your cell phone. So everytime I have a cig. I go and enter it. Next week I plan to see when and where I am smoking and start to implement some alternative behaviors to put off when I smoke. I think it's a great tool!

0 Kudos