cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

HopefulSoul

Hi to everyone,

I think I finally figured out how to post. At least I’m hoping. I began using EX approximately a week ago. It seems there’s some very good information here. I desperately need to quit smoking. One would think when they hear more than one Pulmonologist tell them (me) I probably won’t last another 5 years, that the enormous fear of hearing that would make me stop right then and there. I know it has for others. I can’t understand why it hasn’t for me. All I can think of is that in a life of instability it has been the one and only thing that has never left or changed. I guess one could say it’s the worst Toxic bff I’ve ever had, yet the most reliable. I don’t really know right now, I feel so lost, scared, and confused. I’m curious if anyone else has felt this way and if so where did you begin to find your way?

31 Replies
champsin97

I am sorry to hear about your medical condition but I wouldn't beleive everything they tell you.  They don't factor faith and belief.  Anyway you came to the right place for help in your quit.  You just posted so it won't be long before the good people here reach out to you with invaluable information to help you.  Read everything you can and be active in the community.  It's amazing how much help this site and the caring people can be.  You are not alone.

HopefulSoul

Thank you for the encouragement. This program seems very good with all the blogs, check-ins, and being able to read other people’s stories on their journeys. Something in my mind or about this addiction seems to derail me. When I really set my mind to attempt quitting my mind goes into freak out mode and I begin smoking more. Maybe others experience this too, I’ve never actually asked anyone. It also seems like it would be easier for me in the aspect I am not around anyone that smokes. I’m curious about something, I get messages daily asking if I’ve smoked, but my quit date is set for November 15th, am I doing something wrong? I haven’t even been able to write my Goodbye Letter which may be because I don’t want to keep failing in my attempts at quitting-I’m not exactly sure. The only thing I’m sure of is that my anxiety is definitely building. I believe I have the book you mentioned or one very similar. I bought it last year and so many things made sense or I could associate with, but my addiction won and I stopped reading it. I have noticed the past couple days I haven’t logged on here-do you think that’s a sign my addiction is winning again?

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @HopefulSoul you've made the best decision you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definitely the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the GIFT OF LIFE! Please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's definitely NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination but as long as you're willing determined and totally committed to succeed then you will persevere through the roller coaster ride of cravings and moodswings and lack of sleep to get to that good place in your quit where you'll realize how much better life is as an EXer! Deep breaths you've got this believe it! Stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can! 

3c609b5e4c3f003ea1c5a8f973fbd385.jpg

biscuit9

@HopefulSoul  No addict wants to stop their addiction, whatever that addiction is.  We will lie and cheat to make sure nothing stops us from feeding that monkey on our backs.  We spend plenty of time and money making SURE we stay in our addiction.  You would fight anybody that tried to take your "precious" away from you.  If your sister or your brother came to you with the news that their dr. came to you with, what would you say to them.  What would you tell a loved one that received the news that you received?  I hope you break free.  

Barbscloud

@HopefulSoul What exactly were you diagnosed with by the pulmonologist?

Most of us experienced the same things over the years when we contemplated quitting smoking.   We often see  smoking as our best friend.  After all, we've smoked our way through every emotion and event in our lives,  So a good-bye letter is a great way to make that break from  a chemical that was never our friend and it reminds yourself of the reasons why you're quitting.

Don't think about failure.  I smoked for 50 years and have numerous attempt a quitting. Quitting is a journey and it takes work and commitment.  Along the way we learn how to quit (which I found at the Ex), we learn things about ourselves, we begin to see the physical benefits of quitting and our confidence grows with each success.  

And having the support from fellow quitters can make a real difference.  You don't need to go through it alone when you know that others have gone before you and understand what you're experiencing .   We're here to cheer you on and share in your journey.

Maybe the book just wasn't for you. All of us aren't  fans of Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

Approach quitting one day at a time to help alleviate your apprehension.  Don't overwhelm yourself thinking about forever right now.   

You can do this!

Barb

@CommunityAdmin I'm including the administrator to answer your question about the message you're receiving. 

HopefulSoul

Hi, I have late stage 3 Emphysema, Esonophilic Asthma, Chronic lung failure. My CT’s show multiple nodules the biggest being 3 mm and from what he showed me on my ctscan my right lung is almost completely black. A lot of times I feel as he has written me off already because as much as I ask why he is choosing not to do any biopsies for some reason causes him to become very aggregated with me. The Esonophillic Asthma was just diagnosed this year so I really don’t understand exactly what it is, but the medication makes me pretty sick for about two weeks after the injection. I have tried multiple times switching Pulmonologist to find one who will take a more active part, but it just doesn’t happen. I sleep with Oxygen. You’d think just that would immediately make me quit, but it hasn’t. He has said that my lungs are beyond repairing themselves, but quitting will slow down the process. I’ve had many tell me that is not the case, that if I quit my lungs could begin to function at more than 30%. 

HopefulSoul

Btw your response was truly inspiring, sorry for not mentioning that in my first reply. I sure could use a friendship to help me try and succeed.

Barbscloud

@HopefulSoul That is a lot to deal with.   It's not easy and it's scary, but it's time to do this for you and your life.  Being diagnosed with mild emphysema is what finally motivated me to quit.  My pulmonary doctor was one of my biggest motivators.  He suggested the aids to use, was always positive and when I finally quit,  he had me returning more often just to support me.  He is still one on my biggest advocates. 

Your lungs may not improve, but it's worth trying to stop the progression.  I know some quitters think quitting is going to solve all their health problems.  Not necessarily true.  Even in my case, the doctor indicated even with  quitting, COPD can still progress.  

If you don't like your doctor, you should look for a new one.   The diagnosis may not change, but being able to communicate and feel like someone is listening to you is important.

It's time to commit to doing this.  Leaning about this addiction and being prepared with your plan gives you the confidence you need to be successful.  All you need to ask of yourself is to do this for one day.  Don't think about forever right now.  

There's lots of support here to help you get through the rough toimes.  The quitters here helped save my quit many times.

I used Welbutrin and the nicotrol inhalers.  Both of them really eased the physical withdrawal symptoms.  But don't forget, there is a psychological component to quitting also.  It takes work learning new behaviors to replace smoking.  But your can do.  Believe in yourself.

Are you still working to the goal of November 15th?  That gives you plenty of time to prepare and turn that thinking into positive affirmations.

There are some great posts under the Mayo Clinic blog that you might find helpful.

Letting Go and Moving On from Tobacco: Coping Strategies for a Smoke-Free Life

Stay close and keep me updated on your progress.

Barb

HopefulSoul

Hi, I really do enjoy reading your responses, so thank you again. As far as trying to find a new Pulmonologist in my area, just don’t think that will happen. I was seeing one before the one I see now and he kept me on prednisone for two years straight and never once told me long term use of steroids can cause Osteoporosis. I found out this April when I fractured my T8 vertebrae simply by planting outdoor flowers that I do in fact have Osteoporosis. I fractured my T10 vertebra one month ago after passing out. So I’ve become a bit scared of Pulmonologist. As far as my Quit date (which as of now has remained the same) I think each time I see it, it’s to soon, I’m not prepared enough, or a million other reasons why it seems to soon.  I believe some of that is probably my addiction thinking/talking, yet I also think that I have made no changes as of yet except for trying to log in daily and read. I am going to attempt to reach out to my Pulmonologist today to ask about the inhaler. 🫰he will get back to me. When I began seeing him in January he wanted me to do Pulmonary rehab, yet nothing came of that. Which could be my fault for not quitting, although this is also something that I don’t fully understand what it is. On a different note, this may sound like an odd question, but if you use the patches/inhaler, gum, lozenges do you then have to learn to quit those as well?