cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

HopefulSoul

Hi to everyone,

I think I finally figured out how to post. At least I’m hoping. I began using EX approximately a week ago. It seems there’s some very good information here. I desperately need to quit smoking. One would think when they hear more than one Pulmonologist tell them (me) I probably won’t last another 5 years, that the enormous fear of hearing that would make me stop right then and there. I know it has for others. I can’t understand why it hasn’t for me. All I can think of is that in a life of instability it has been the one and only thing that has never left or changed. I guess one could say it’s the worst Toxic bff I’ve ever had, yet the most reliable. I don’t really know right now, I feel so lost, scared, and confused. I’m curious if anyone else has felt this way and if so where did you begin to find your way?

31 Replies
HopefulSoul

Hi, thank you for replying. I’ve never heard of a Nicotene Inhaler. Thanks also for mentioning that, I see my Dr next month and will ask about it. Whenever I’m hospitalized the patches do great for like the first four days and then something happens and I begin freaking out for a cigarette. I have all three steps for the Nicotine patches at home, though it feels like I pysch myself out without honestly having even tried to put one on at home. I think, I’m just scared of failing so much that they just sit there in the drawer. My quit date is in about 2 weeks and my head is already telling me, “I can’t.” Siggghs maybe I’m just not getting how to prepare for quitting. And it’s so odd, absolutely no one around me smokes, just seems like that would make it easier, but it almost feels like more pressure. Please to anyone reading this, forgive my negative thoughts and self-doubt. I’m certain it’s stemming from fear of the unknown.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@HopefulSoul First, thank you for being vulnerable about your feelings and thoughts. Please know this is a safe place and we understand what you are going through. Although it is not easy, in order for us to be successful, we must reframe our thinking. Since your quit date is two weeks away, it may be a good idea to either journal or think of your "whys". This can shift your mind into a thinking positive thinking and your able to replace a negative thought with a positive one. 

Being prepared and planning for success will help you. Focusing on how to manage situations in which you used to smoke can prevent relapse and feelings of doubt. Leaning on support from your family, friends, and EX community will help you on this journey! 

I've attached a link to a few articles about getting ready to quit :https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/

We will be here with you every step of the way! You got this.

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
HopefulSoul

Hi, thank you so much for the links. I will definitely read them. I signed up for an Ex webinar for Nov. 7th. I’ve never done that here so hopefully the day it comes I can figure out how to log into it. Though a lot of my thoughts seem a bit negative, I remain a HopefulSoul that if I keep logging in to read as much as I can and try to be honest in my communication and thinking that maybe I will finally find the strength to succeed. Can I ask your opinion on something that’s been messing with my head? I really actually dislike smoking now, the taste, the smell, not being able to do so many things I once was able to, yet I think the words from Pulmonologist about my life span truly has made it more difficult to quit. Because I start thinking what is the point in stopping if by some odd chance they are right. Yet on the other hand I’m very curious about stopping to see if I can actually feel the difference. It would feel so unbelievably amazing to be able to go to the Ocean again, and not feel as though my lungs are totally going to give out, or to go shopping and things with my daughter without having to constantly stop because I’m so out of breath and it’s hugely embarrassing. We live ten minutes from the Ocean and for the past 2 years, fear has prevented me from going. Are these normal feelings for someone who wants to quit? Is it normal to feel so lost two weeks before your quit date?

I remain a HopefulSoul 

biscuit9

When you found out long term steroid use can cause osteoporosis you probably stopped taking the steroids.  Long term nicotine use can cause bad side effects as well.  We tend to pick and choose what we get outraged about.  Wishing you all the best as you go through this.

HopefulSoul

Hi, that is an extremely valid point. Your right I had not thought of it like that. Hearing you say it, kinda makes sense why my Pulmonologist may feel the way he does. I think sometimes in life we don’t really realize that things like that. At least that’s how it is for me. Somebody will help with a very simple different way to look at things, and in that instance it’s like how could I have not thought or considered that. You know I truly love aha moments and I’m thankful for them. So, thank you. 

HopefulSoul

Congrats sincerely.😊 That’s amazing and it’s also amazing that you come here and offer great support. Thank you, please know it’s greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Interesting, your nickname is Hopefulsoul. It's hard to imagine life without smoking (addiction to nicotine) because nicotine has such an unusual effect on the brain. Smoking doesn't really feel all that great, and doesn't give a high like alcohol or other drugs do. Yet the addiction leads us to believe that we can't live without it. That's why no bottom is too low for any addict. Even death. Yet, here you are, hopeful and wanting to quit.

If you want to get yourself out of this addiction, then decide to do the work that it will take to get you free. There is no other way--and you are strong enough, capable enough of succeeding. You are not excluded from succeeding by some mysterious force. Stay invested in your desire to quit, keep looking, keep choosing. Yes you can.

maryfreecig_0-1672683892817.jpeg308875167_3268277690101138_6544419650644654398_n.jpgcfdcbdc8f3a5fdd7ad923e6e2c1e360f.jpg

HopefulSoul

In the past I’ve tried cigarette counter apps, do you think possibly adding that would help a lil? I believe EX has it too, though I’ve only stumbled on it a couple times. Plus the mornings I’m a very bad chain smoker. I can’t say I know how the one here works, but I know in the past they’ve had downloadable apps that help encourage you to wait a few minutes longer before the allotted cig. Like it takes how much you smoke and breaks it down during the day for you, with each day subtracting one cigarette from your normal. I truly welcome any suggestions, thoughts or ideas, because clearly my way has not worked. Also, thanks for the images on ideas. They help a lot as well.😊

McMoney

You asked how to deal with the panic. I don't know if anyone can give you a clear cut golden ticket type of answer. You will have to find what works for you. I definitely suggest reading as much as you can about nicotine addiction; there is a ton of information on this site. I know I've even read specifically about the fear of failing and fear of success and these are things you are aware that you are experiencing. You can also arm yourself with a bunch of distractions like candy, puzzles, sensory things, etc. I haven't read it but get Allen Carr's book if you can.  You need tools and information. The more the better! 

maryfreecig

It sounds as though you feel helpless about changing your behavior. For sure, quitting brings up fear in almost all smokers. I went through it--I wondered if I'd stick to my decision. But it does sound as if you are saying you can't decide on any behavior changes. There are a billion choices in behavior changes for quitting, but they work because we sign on to the idea of quitting first.

It could be that a combo of several things will be what will work for you, but first you must decide that you will quit. 

Your quit date is not nearly as important as your decision to change. What will it take for you to become willing to give it your all? What will help you get there? 

No matter what, keep working toward the change that you are wanting to make, Hopefulsoul. There is a saying that hard work makes it easier for luck to find us!!! Meaning, if you don't see your way forward now, keep working at it, because it may surprisingly take shape.

iMarkup_20221228_194838.jpg