cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

laur

Hey!

Hey everyone. I just saw a commercial for this site yesterday and figured I would check it out. I currently still smoke, but really need/want to quit. I did quit for a year and a half, but started smoking again over a year ago. I work in a nursing home. I've been a CNA for about 5 years and I see the effects of people that smoked everyday. Plus, I graduate from nursing school in about a month and who wants to be taken care of by a nurse that smokes? I mean.. not that it makes me a bad nurse.. but it sure makes me a hypocrite. Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Laur. I'm 24 years old. I just want to be healthy. I don't think I've ever felt healthy. Quitting is something I really need to do for myself. Just me.
0 Kudos
18 Replies
manofsteele

I wish I was as smart as you Laur are now at your age. You still have doubts but you are at least giving the right decision a chance .... thinking about u ...
0 Kudos
laur

Thanks to everyone for their replies.. I know this is something that I need to do and I know someone wants a smelly nurse.. but you should know.. that just because I will work as a nurse or am working in the medical field doesn't mean I am any different than you.. it doesn't mean I can't be addicted or can't be weak. I do my best..

Thanks again everyone..

Laur
0 Kudos
laur

Thanks guys.. I need all the help I can get!
0 Kudos
dian

hey Laur, I did the same thing. Saw the commercial on Saturday and decided to quit that Monday the 5th. Didn't make it on Monday so quit on the 7th of May and with the help of everyone here, today is day 6 being smoke free....... good luck and we will be here for you!!!
0 Kudos
cperez

Hey my name is Cynthia and in the past year I have tried to quit smoking about 3 times.
I really love the way I feel when I have not smoked for a while but for some reason any little thing just pulls me back in.
I honestly believe my addiction is 90 percent mental and the rest is physical.
If I can get my brain to stop telling to smoke I will be good. My problem is when I have free time.
The minute I have 5 minutes of free time that's the first thing I do SMOKE even if I am not having a nicotine craving. Half the cigarettes I smoke are just because I can, not because I physically want to.
Can anyone relate to what I am saying?
0 Kudos
Giulia

Yes indeedy, Cynthia Know it well. For me it was 99% mental. I often smoked for no reason at all, just because I could. How stupid is that. So, one of things I did was put positive affirmations all over the place. Every timed I turned around my eye would catch a little note that said something like "It's up to you and you CAN do this." I also had a quit book with things that people said (that I'd copied from a support group at the time) that really made a difference in my mind when I read them. And when I got a craving I'd go to the book and read.

But the way to win this game is really to make smoking a non-option. Period. No matter how much the baby in you whines, you don't give it the piece of candy. (Which we know it's not.) The mother has to be in control. I just kept saying NO to the baby.

So if free time is one of your triggers, then you have to fill that free time with something. Play jacks. Be a kid. Bounce a ball. Blow bubbles. Use your imagination to come up with things to do. Fun things. Finger paint.....

Change your thinking and you can change your life.
0 Kudos
cperez

I am doing ok...
I have not quit completely but reduced the amount I have been smoking by half.
I think i will be ready by my quit date. Right now my life is in shambles and I am taking it day by day.
Thank you for checking up on me.

Cynthia
0 Kudos
laur

I'm not really sure how I'm doing. Thursday night I put the patch on.. made it 10 hours.. but then have been smoking since then. The circumstances of my life right now are catching up with me.. and I can barely even think about quitting.
0 Kudos
cperez

Hi Laur,

I know exactly what you mean about "life circumstances" catching up because I am in the same boat and really dont know how to handle it.
I have to quit no matter what. I am getting surgery done in about 45 days and I have to be smoke free for at least 30days.
I am trying to keep myself busy and surrounded by people because I dont smoke in front of anyone, only when I am home alone.
0 Kudos