cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

laur

Hey!

Hey everyone. I just saw a commercial for this site yesterday and figured I would check it out. I currently still smoke, but really need/want to quit. I did quit for a year and a half, but started smoking again over a year ago. I work in a nursing home. I've been a CNA for about 5 years and I see the effects of people that smoked everyday. Plus, I graduate from nursing school in about a month and who wants to be taken care of by a nurse that smokes? I mean.. not that it makes me a bad nurse.. but it sure makes me a hypocrite. Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Laur. I'm 24 years old. I just want to be healthy. I don't think I've ever felt healthy. Quitting is something I really need to do for myself. Just me.
0 Kudos
18 Replies
hothula

aloha, if you were able to quit for that long in the past you will do it for good this time. you are young and want to do this now so that ten years from now you are not still wishing you would quit. be strong and positive don't give in to your junkie thinking and you will do this
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Who wants a smelly nurse with stained "orange" teeth?? ,,,,,hehe NOT ME

You sound like a smart young adult so make a decision and stick to it .... If I can help just ask, ok?

0 Kudos
manofsteele

Who wants a smelly nurse with stained "orange" teeth?? ,,,,,hehe NOT ME

You sound like a smart young adult so make a decision and stick to it .... If I can help just ask, ok?

0 Kudos
Giulia

Hi Laur,

I've never understood how people in the medical profession can smoke when they see what the effects are first hand. You are caregivers but don't give yourself care. Shows you how insidious the drug is. Don't really know why you should be any different than the rest of us when it comes to addiction, but somehow I hold you higher. You're the ones who tell us all why we shouldn't smoke and yet you don't set an example for us. (When I say "you" I don't mean you personally - I mean caregivers at large.)

It's great that you saw the commercial and it brought you here. We need people like you to quit so you can encourage those people you tend, who may smoke, to follow in your footsteps, to show them it's possible.

You don't ever think you've felt healthy? Wow. Then I'd say it's definitely time to be here now. Welcome a'board.

Giulia (2 years +)
0 Kudos
cindy25

Hi Laur. I have had really great success with this EX program so far. I am following the program (to the letter) and this is (so far!) been the easiest time I have had quitting. I believe I will do this -and stay quit for good. Anyone can do it. That means YOU! Stay positive and work very, very hard. Keep posting, you will get support here.
0 Kudos
dian

I came to this site for the same reason. Monday I came....... today is day 2 of being smoke free...... how about that!!! Great support here to help. Try it, you'll like it!! being smoke free that is.
0 Kudos
Giulia

Where are you Laur? Let us hear from you.
0 Kudos
jack7

Hi Laur,

I stumbled across this site about a month ago, I've been considering quitting smoking for months now. After 21 years, It's just time. I've quit for a few days to several weeks in the past. Although currently the time feels right. I've set my quit date for May 23. I'm wearing a patch at the moment, craving aren't really bad. I'm trying something new here with brief blogging, maybe venting will allow me to escape the sudden urges to go light up. I still have a pack of cigarettes, maybe i should break em up and toss them, but I'm allowing myself a few slips till the 23 of may. I don't know if this is a good or a bad idea, I've tried a few different methods in the past . Well, I don't have alot to say for now. If you need any support, hit me up. Jack
0 Kudos
Giulia

Hey Jack, wise decision you've made. Glad you stumbled in here. Maybe we can help you do this thing that's such a B*&tch.

Venting will definitely help. I speak from experience here. My opinion - don't break those cigs up and toss em until the 23rd. Get your head in the right place first. Slipping and sliding is not what this is about. It's about being firm in your resolve. It's about taking full responsibility. It's about saying NO and meaning it.

I'd really appreciate it (since you're a re-run - you say you've tried different methods in the past), if you'd tell your story in my group Relapse Traps (http://community.becomeanex.org/group/relapsetraps) "Slipping and Sliding Tales of Trouble"discussion to help others.

The bottom line is - whatever works for you is what's right. There is no right an wrong when it comes to quitting this - and I'm gonna call it a - dis -ease. Because that's what it is.

Trying something new is what I constantly recommend. Let you mind run free, be creative in this process. And discover.

We're here for you.
0 Kudos