cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dlane68

Help

Been gone awhile and failed miserably on quitting before. In my mind I have set my quit date for December 1st, and this is the first I have told any one. Here is my dilemma, I have not convinced myself that I can do it. I have been in bed sick for a couple of days and have not had a cigarette since Saturday night, there are no cigarettes in the house and I am craving one bad. I am hoping to jump start my quitting early being I have gone this far without smoking. Please any encouragement and advice would be helpful.  

64 Replies
elvan

My name is Ellen...my user name is Elvan...I am a woman.  I remember how disappointed I felt when I would read how much better people felt SO QUICKLY...I was happy for them but I did not understand why things were not getting better for me.  I was terrified...if I had quit sooner, I would very likely not have had this kind of damage but those what if's don't do much good.  Be patient, take really good care of yourself.  Stay close to the site and call out if you need help.

Ellen

Gma_Bernie

Ellen,

Thanks for reaching out to me. I think we have a lot in common. I am 63

years old and I have smoked for 48 years -3 years after I had my first baby.

I guess I had unrealistic expectations that I would feel better sooner. But

I haven't given up. I know it's going to take longer. I applaud you for

your efforts despite your other physical problems. Did you say that you

were 60? I can't remember. Let's keep in touch.

Bernie

elvan

I WISH I was 60...no I am 68, I quit smoking when I was 64.  I had quit several times over 47 years, always for pregnancies and other times I TRIED but I didn't have this site...the support and the education have made all of the difference in the world to me.  I am so glad that I found the site and I am glad that you did as well.  Stay close to the site...you will meet amazing people and you will learn a lot about YOURSELF.  Your self esteem will go up and you will realize that while you smoked, you stuffed your feelings, now you will FEEL your feelings, good AND bad.  It's a journey...you can do this and every person here wants you to be successful.

Ellen

Gma_Bernie

Thanks Ellen,

It's a little confusing getting around the site. If I read something that I

like and I want to follow that person I don't know how to do it. I tried

just clicking on their name. Then there are conversations blogs discussions

groups. Too many options! Oh well, I'll get used to it.

Thanks again

Bernie

0 Kudos
elvan

Bernie,

Gma_Bernie‌...I @mentioned you to be sure that you get a notice that you are mentioned in this thread...sometimes it is hard to keep track.  When you want to be sure that someone sees your comment click the @ sign and then start to type the name and you should be able to select the recipient from a list, that highlights the name and makes sure that the person gets a notice.

To follow someone, you can right click on their name and select follow.  You can also go to their page and read old blogs by clicking on activity.  We moved over to this platform almost a year ago and it's getting easier BUT, it was definitely an adjustment.  I sign on every morning and I take the Daily Pledge and ride the Freedom Train...they are both under Celebrations and Events at the top of the page. You can click on "home" and see what's new or you can go directly to your inbox, kind of depends upon how much time you have. Giulia‌ wrote a tutorial and Jennifer-Quit‌ has helped many of us to get around...so has crazymama_Lori‌.  Have a wonderful day, I am really glad that you are here.

Ellen

Gma_Bernie

Thanks Ellen. And is this a conversation, discussion, community or what? How do I get back to here?

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

If you double click on a person's avatar (picture), it will take you to their page  Under their avatar & username Screen Shot 12-16-17 at 08.39 AM.JPG

there is a line that starts with "Overview"  - follow that over to "Content" and click on that.  Doing that will give you all the blogs that person has written.

Happy reading!

Nancy

elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ Thanks for that much more concise explanation.  

0 Kudos
Gma_Bernie

Thanks Youngatheart!

0 Kudos
Gma_Bernie

Thanks Nancy!

0 Kudos