cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Rachy2283

Help: I need help with....

My name is Rachael and I have been smoking for 25 years.  I did quit when I was pregnant but it wasn't hard because I got sick everytime I smoked.  I worked in sales my whole life and always went back asap.  I made it successfully for 4 days last week no cigs using nicotine gum. . Then an argument happened and here I am full blown smoking for the last 3 days . Any advice or anything at all would be great as I am just overwhelmed right now and feel I will forever be a slave to cigarettes.

Thank you in advance

18 Replies
Rachy2283

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Glad you found us and congrats on your decision to quit.  It's important to create new associations instead of smoking so you're prepared when "emotions" happen.  We're so used to smoking with every activity and emotion we experience; it take some work to use the quit  tools we've identified.   For example, deep breathing, going for  walk, etc.  You can do this.  We're here for you--reach out before you smoke!

Barb

Rachy2283

Thank you so much

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Rachy2283 

You have received great advice above me...Please know you can quit, it just takes hard work and commitment...

I smoked for over 30years and quit with the support of this site ... I suffer from anxiety and I was able to quit...

It is a journey...you have supplied your body with toxins and chemicals and now your body needs to heal and get used to you not feeding your addiction.  You need to listen to your body and either get extra rest if it is tire, and/or keep busy.  Keep close to the support site to receive help and to encourage others on this journey...We are here for you...and ready to help...~ Colleen 763 DOF 

Rachy2283

Getting back in the fight.  Tomorrow is a new day. I am ready now.  So thankful to receive the encouraging words and great advice from everyone.  Just need to figure out the website next.  The 4 days I was smoke free... I felt AMAZING!! 2 YEAR COUGH WAS GONE ... but with the first cig it was back. . It really is crazy if u  think about it. 

0 Kudos
Sootie

YoungAtHeart‌ is the "welcome wagon" and there is a ton of good advice in her post! Let me just add that it is helpful to think about all of the things that trigger a cigarette for you. I know for me it was driving, being on the phone, having nothing to do........so I had to think what I would do INSTEAD when those triggers happened. You need to plan , think and educate before you can successfully quit.

BUT---YOU CAN DO THIS!!! We all did and we are no different from you. DO NOT tell yourself you will be a slave to cigarettes forever. Smoking for 25 years sounds like a lot....but there are successful quitters on here who smoked for 30 and 40 years. This CAN be done. 

And you are at the BEST site for support. I just had my 11 year anniversary and the support on this site was 95% the reason for my success.

WELCOME TO EX!!!!! We are all here for each other.

Stay Strong. 

Rachy2283

Incredible Sootie!! Congrats!! Thankful to have found this site and so much support.  You are right.  I think support has been the missing link for me.

0 Kudos
Rachy2283

sylvieberger‌. Read the links in the comments and the comments

sylvieberger

So much good info! I've been down a rabbit hole and it really helped. Thank you!