cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jack14

Getting Started

Hi - My name is Jack and I live in Washington DC, I've been smoking for 15 years and I've tried to stop several times. I hope that this program can help me quit. I'm a little nervous about quitting. I'm not sure I can do it. Does anyone else feel the same way?
0 Kudos
46 Replies
sandy11

Hi Jack, my name is Sandy and I just joined today. Ive been smoking for close to 14 years and have tried to quit at least 20 different times. Im totally with you on this one, Im totally nervous as hell and not sure of myself either because Ive failed so many times. Plus the fact that everytime I get stressed out I reach for one. Trust me when I say your definately not alone 🙂
0 Kudos
lorelai

oh my god,yes. I am so totally sure I'm gonna fail most of the time. And the closer I get to my quit date the more I feel myself wanting to chicken out. Only I'm not going to let myself do it this time. By joining this site I am asking for help and that has never come easy
for me. If I'm gonna ask, then I'm damn well gonna follow through. And if I DO fail the first time out, I'll pick myself up and try again.
But I know how you feel, I really do. And I actually quit once about 10 years ago. I don't even remember what it was like. What I do
remember is being a stupid ass and picking it up again when things got tough for me. But yeah, I'm nervous too. You are absolutely
NOT the only one. This is a very big deal, what we are all doing.
0 Kudos
julie46

I surely feel the same way!! But we will never know if we dont try right!! Good luck, you can do it!! if not keep trying thats what i plan on
0 Kudos
sandy11

Omg Chuck, same exact thing here. Ive been through some major major crap, and smoking was the only thing to see me through it all, be there for me, not abandon me etc. The same goes for the withdrawl symtoms. You know its bad when your own kids dont want to be near you and they say things like " mom, you need your happy stick" or " this is worse than PMS," It would just make me feel awful and think that its better for me not to quit if my kids like me the other way better. Yes we both know what they are doing to us but at the same time the fear of facing life without that "friend" just makes you want to run and hide in a corner, I know exactly how you feel.
0 Kudos
tracy9

My biggest problem with quitting was breaking old habits and making new ones. Every morning as long as I can remember, I had a couple cups of coffee and a few cigarettes. There was nothing better, especially in the springtime, than getting up and going outside to sit on the deck, listen to the birds and smoke a lot of cigarettes.
I quit in March so the weather is just starting to get nicer. I still drink coffee but havent ventured outside to sit on the deck. I hear the birds from the kitchen but I know that will trigger that craving for a cigarette.

Summertime is also getting close and I enjoy yardwork. A beer and a cigarette to help accomplish the work at hand. I guess this is just one of many roadblocks but if I am determined.....I CAN DO IT

good luck everyone
Tracy
0 Kudos
nishka

Hi Jack , my name is Nishka and I live in Georgia and I have been smoking for 10 years. I feel nervous about quitting as well. I keep telling myself that I can do this. It is time to quit! I know how you're feeling.
0 Kudos
harold

I too am curious about your secret tony. My name is Harold i am 36 and have been smoking for 20 years now. The last time i tried to quit i used the patch but could'nt stand all the vivid dreams. Plus to add insult to injury while wearing the patch i was still smoking, not my normal pack and a half, but atleast 1/2 to 3/4 of a pack. I eventually gave up the whole giving up thing. This time i am down to a pack every 2-3 days without the patch at all. I just still have trouble with the cravings heck seeing someone on t.v. or even someone just mentions a smoke i want one. The craving does'nt go away in a few minutes. I mean 20 minutes later i still want one any suggestions?
0 Kudos

i was and am extremely nervous i have 18 days, and each day has extracted a pound of flesh out of me, it is hard so we have every reason to be nervous, just hang in there take the feelings as they come, don't be nervous about what is to come cause it is going to come anyway so why waste sleep on it, their are enough times without extra worry, just hang on and keep that little guard marching up and down to watch for the enemy if he tryies to come knocking at your door, let the guard answer and send the enemy come to try and get you to smoke to leave or he will hurt him badly, good luck and hang in there and don't go anywhere without your guard, and a good attitude,. later bobbie
0 Kudos
jeff28

Chuck,
(If you're still here) I'm curious what you think would happen if you went to a 30 day in-patient program? What would happen in that program that's different from what you would do on your own?
0 Kudos
chuck4

Good Morning,

I apologize in advance for my negativity, but I don't feel that this site is helping me to even want to quit or feel that I can. Not one iota. What I feel I need is a 30 day in-patient program, much the same as is available for drug addicts. Nicotine is a drug. One that for many people is more difficult to kick than heroin. Why isn't there a program like that funded by the money that the states have managed to extract from the tobacco companies? What's THAT money being used for...lining the pockets of politicians and their buddies...again? Speaking for myself, it's going to take a LOT more than a web site with a bunch of cheerleading going on to help me to quit. Rah-rah-frigging rah. Harrumph.
0 Kudos