cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

simona

Fact or Fiction? Alert For All Chantix Users:

I have just found an interesting story on one of the blogs I previously commented on. I thought it might be interesting for all current Chantix users to read. The person who posted the story remains anonymous, but the story sounds very true.

It is the last and longest comment on that page.
The link to the comment is HERE.

I have no relationship with the blog or that comment whatsoever.
0 Kudos
32 Replies
denverdeb

hey don, i just started a group called chantixers.... all people using chantix to share our experiences and weird dreams 🙂 why dont you join me??
How long were you on chantix before you quit?
0 Kudos
Jaded

I just started taking Chantix yesterday, and I too did alot of research on the internet, Sunday I was full of anxiety knowing all of the serious side effects. But I have decided to go ahead and give it a go. If I have any of the side effects I've read about I will stop taking it. The hardest thing for me is taking it in the morning on a full stomach, not much of a breakfast eater myself..so there's another thing I need to teach myself...
0 Kudos
denverdeb

there is bad press with EVERY medication. chantix has worked great for me. I know I am only on day 2 of no smokes, however, i was able to cut down A LOT with the chantix. I started cutting down and working on my triggers for 2 weeks - i went longer than the recommended 8 days and I am glad I did. Iallowed it to get in my system more.
Some words of advice... chantix begins to put you in withdrawl even while you are smoking (this is where I thinnk people blame the meds when it's actually their own withdrawl symptoms.) The naseau goes away in about 10 min ( if you even get it.)
for some reason it just seems to help me stay calm. I want a cig, but dont HAVE to have one. Join our chantixers group and let us know how you are doing!
0 Kudos
tracy9

I have been an avid smoker for 36 years. Started smoking at 15 because it was the "cool" thing to do. Little did I know just how hard it was going to be to put the damn things down for good. I was given a rprescription for Chantix from the doctor and never filled it. Maybe because it was too expensive and if I didnt quit, it would be a waste of money or maybe I just didnt want to. So I have yet to fill it . I myself was on lexipro for depression but the side effects were too severe for me so I have been taking wellbutrin for the past 6 weeks and have been smoke free for 5 weeks. I haven't had a craving for a cigarette only because as good as it would feel to take that first drag.....the taste would make me sick to my stomach. Just remember....you have to quit for yourself and you have to be ready to quit.
good luck to you all

tracy
0 Kudos
lynn14

Hi, all -

As some of you know, I am a 1-1/2 to 2 pack per day smoker and have been for a good 35 years. After trying to quit on the lozenges, I thought I'd go totally insane (and I'm not kidding!) So I got on Chantix and am now on day 9 of it. For me, it absoutely works with NO side effects - NONE! My sleep isn't as good as I would like it to be for that was a problem before Chantix. No nightmares - I just find that I wake up every two hours but go back to sleep quickly. No nausea, no gas, no stomach cramps, no suicidal thoughts.

Doc told me to take it for two weeks and quit on day 15, but I tried to quit today - smoked half a pack and of those, only smoked half of the cig and thru it out because they tasted really nasty and I just didn't enjoy them. I found that I was smoking more out of habit than by just wanting one. When I do get an urge, which is rare, it lasts but for a second and it's gone - NO SWEAT! Yes, I feel a little blue at times, but I believe it's because I'm saying goodby to "that old friend who's trying to murder me" (as someone else said) - I don't know quite what to do without smoking - and I know I'm also going through withdrawal symptoms, too, so I belive that is to be expected, but it's certainly nothing serious.

All in all, so far, I couldn't have asked for a more positive and hopeful experience. I really think when day 15 comes and I'm "formally" supposed to quit, I will be able to do so without a hitch - quite possibly before - and trust me when I tell you, I NEVER thought I would be able to quit smoking - NEVER IN A ZILLION YEARS, but I am convinced I will this time with Chantix. For me, it seems to be doing the job.
0 Kudos
lynn14

Hi, Denverdeb......

Like you, I've noticed the Chantix keeps me calm, too! Interesting. I am a high strung person to begin with, and I've definitely noticed its calming effect. I also agree with what you said about some people blaming the med for their "blue moods" when perhaps it's not - because your body IS going through withdrawals - the Chantix just masks a lot of them up and makes it easier to quit.

I wish you the very best in your Chantix journey.....
0 Kudos
lynn14

Dear Quitter:

That was a problem of mine, too - eating breakfast in the morning. UH!! I'm not a breakfast eater, so since starting Chantix, I eat a cereal bar, drink a tall glass of milk, and then 2-1/2 glasses of water (ugh!) Then take the pill. It does the trick for me and I've yet to have any stomach problems while on it.......

Keep up the good work!
0 Kudos
lynn14

Denverdeb - I agree about the bad press on every med just about. With any med, there's always going to be side effects, but really there aren't that many with Chantix compared to many other popular, well-used meds out on the market. Three main things one has to be wary of when taking Chantix: Taking blood thinning meds - seizure disorder - emotional disorder. There's not one med around that doesn't have side effects or warnings on them.....
0 Kudos
simona

Hello Lynn,

I have been reading through your responses and I think you really provide people with great information and support.
I wanted to thank you for taking the time and answering some of the posts in here, I do really appreciate that.
It is great to have you around...

God Bless!

Simona
0 Kudos
denverdeb

good thoughts, just like all meds, you should look at possible side effects as well as drug interactions..

just like you however, NEVER in a zillion years would I have thought I could EVER go 2 days without a cig and NOT freak out. Like you, I am more mad at the addiction of still wishing I could smoke but not feeling like I am going to die (which I have before.) day 2 and I think I might just make it this time...
0 Kudos