cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Makeemproud

Easier Said than Done

I've been vaping for two years. I want to quit but it's easier said than done.  I'm here hoping there is a way I can ditch the bad habit and still keep my sanity in check. I'm sick of feeling like a crazy person when I misplace my Juul. I thought quitting cigarettes was an accomplishment. And maybe it was. I'm hoping I can quit vaping too.

Tags (1)
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine.  It's not just a habit!   Here is a great article with information about the products: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/vaping-101-what-know-about-e-cigs-addiction-illnesses-n1054981?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR1_kp1N7b8vLyjqt3M-Onz2hPEUkBBmUYm98bdRJ9EBVKldRbKbvLwP3ss.

E-cigarette users can get more nicotine than they would from a tobacco product — extra-strength cartridges are available, or the e-cigarette’s voltage can be increased to get a greater hit of the substance. I understand some pods equal the nicotine in a pack of cigarettes. Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each device use, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each use off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a puff just because you think you do

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

Yes it is easier said than done.  BUT it is DOABLE.  If I can anyone can. Welcome to EX you have come to the right place for support.  Quitting is doable when you finally come to grips that you ARE done with it no matter what and not use EXcuses to continue on to the slow death from lung disease.  First, you must be willing to do whatever is necessary if I haven't already made that clear.  I am a firm believer that educating oneself about nicotine addiction will open the door to success.  You are not really dealing with a bad habit you are dealing with an addiction to a drug called nicotine just like any other drug you have to go through withdrawal.  It can be harder or it can be easier.  It is up to you.  Are you willing to do whatever is necessary?

. Education is the key to successfully quit. Read, Study, Blog and be willing to do the work.  With the help of the to EX Community you can have a forever quit.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine. Know the LAW!  If you Go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and review the videos and learn more about what your triggers are and how to prepare when the urge hits.  I am a firm believer education is the key to success. I was advised to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info which was very helpful to me is  www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and Freedom

From Nicotine My Journey Home. 

Just like the lack of research surrounding the dangers of vaping in general, there are very few resources available specifically for those who are looking to quit vaping. On the bright side, however, the process for quitting smoking is almost identical to the one for quitting vaping, with the added benefit of being able to fully control the amount of nicotine you use, depending on the e-cig you are using. @Quitting E-cigarettes | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX 

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...

Unfortunately, vaping was changing from one addiction to another...and it seems vaping is harder because it is stronger and you can do in so many more places...however, it can be done...we have many that are proof here at Ex’s...Above me, YoungAtHeart and JACKIE1-25-15 gave you great information.  You must do the work...the better prepared and knowledgeable the more success ... this is doable, but takes hard work...You must make you and your quit priority one ... we are in this journey together ... keep close to the support site to encourage others in their journey and to get help...now get working...Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 294 DOF 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Quitting isn't something that happened to me, it's something I did. To start, I was pretty unsettled and wondered if I'd ever get beyond thinking about smoking. And time, one day at a time, has proven to be the medicine that has healed me the most. If you don't engage one day at a time, you will get to a better place--well past the addiction. This is all about relearning life without the dependency.

Try to see this as a journey rather than a conquest--many vapers/smokers want the holy grail of quitting--a one time heroic and magnificent decision to quit--so wondrous that there is no discomfort in quitting--it's all glory. Quitting is wondrous, but it starts by doing the small stuff--like deciding to quit and accepting that you will feel stuff that you may not like feeling. NOPE is the way to deal with temptation, support and education will help you as you go.

Strategize--here at Ex, you'll come across loads of ideas as to how to manage your thinking/cravings etc. You get to pick and choose which ideas help. Ex is and will be here for you 365. 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  We're all nicotine addicts.   Educate yourself about nicotine addiction by reading posts and create a quit plan.My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX   This has to be terribly difficult, but let's not hope, let's do it!  We're here to support on your journey.  

Barb

Ann007

Hello & welcome! I'm on day 4 of quitting Juul and it is doable. Not sure about the future but today I feeling good & proud. There is so much helpful advice & support here. I'm pulling for you! 

YoungAtHeart

Taking this journey to freedom IS a one day at a time one.  Don't be looking too far ahead - the future will come if we simply quit one day at a time!

Nancy

Ann007

Yes I'm in the broken up but I know you were bad for me stage today!