cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kcloutier64

What can I do for night time urges

I've been smoking 20+ years 15 of which I only smoked 1 at night before I went to bed then began smoking more after a bad time in my life.

I'm able to keep busy and do all I can to not light up during the day but at night I struggle. It seems that is the time I cant really be doing anything because Im trying to go to sleep. Im so use to that relax time with a cigarette it is tough. I havent given in yet and don't plan to but if anyone has any ideas on how to make it a little better I love some ideas. Thanks

11 Replies
sweetplt

How about doing some things to relax before bed...warm milk, warm bath and then a book to keep your mind busy, but should make you sleepy...and/or pray...~ Colleen 295 DOF 

Kcloutier64

Warm bath sounds good I think I'll try that tonight. Thank you

YoungAtHeart

You might try a soothing meditation practice, lots of them on YouTube. 

Or - working on a crossword puzzle.

Or - reading a book

Or -  doing a stretching/relaxation practice in bed.

Or  - try slow/deep breathing, going slower and deeper with each for five minutes or so.

Or - count backwards from 1,000 or 10,000  - or think of girls and boys names for each letter of the alphabet,, or names of US cities and towns for each letter

You might try some cherry juice, melatonin,  or warm milk right before bed to help with sleepiness.

Good for you for looking for tools to help with the not smoking!

Nancy

Kcloutier64

Ah melatonin yes I will try that. Someone else mentioned a warm bath so and I meditate so warm bath meditate melatonin is my plan tonight. Thank you

Barbscloud

I often watch a meditation video on YouTube that is designed to help you sleep.  I like Jason Stephenson who has numerous meditations for sleep.

0 Kudos
Kcloutier64

I meditate but maybe I can do it alittle later. You gave me a good idea I can play the meditation music all night some of them are 9 hours long. Thank you I have a plan.

Barbscloud

Yes, I've listened to some that are just music.   For some reason, Jason Stephenson's voice is so calming to me.

PastTense

My go-to crave buster is 3X3 breathing.  Inhale to the slow count of three; hold to the count of three, exhale to the count of three.  I often hold a straw or pencil while I do this because it mimicks smoking.  Three or four repitions calms me down and squashes a craving FLAT.

The hardest part for me is recognizing that I am having a craving.  I usually eat first and ask questions later.

Then it dawns on me that I really wasn't hungry, it was just addiction talking. 

Great job keeping your quit. 

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
sweetplt

Thank you so much Kcloutier64 for taking the time to answer our responses...so often we don’t hear back from people and worry and wonder what they think of the information provided...have a great evening...~ Colleen 295 DOF