cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

chris54

Drinking and Smoking. I know it's a trigger but what to do??!!!

Hi,
I have a really tough question I was hoping could be answered...I've identified one of my major triggers which has hurt me many many times before when i've tried to quit...it's drinking...I'm 24 yrs old and I drink around 3-4 times a week and it's a major trigger for me. I really love having a cigarette while drinking because of the nice buzz it gives and i've been doing it since i've started smoking. All of my other triggers I have identified other things to try instead, but with drinking, I really cant think of any thing to do instead...I really do want to quit, but this is the one trigger i'm scared of. My friends smoke while drinking, and most drugs you cant take if you've been drinking...last time i tried to leave when i felt the urge. Any suggestions would be awesome, I dont think i can set a quit date until i identify a real substitute for this particular trigger...thank you for your help...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey yall, I was asked to close this discussion since it has been going on for awhile. i slipped up once awhile back and was gone for awhile, but I came back a few weeks ago and as of today, I havent smoked for 18 days and feel great, I went out once to a bar last weekend and wasnt tempted at all to smoke, so that felt pretty awesome, still get cravings sometimes at night, but like I mentioned I been running them off and it works great. Anyway I really wanted to thank yall again for all your kind messages and suggestions, you've all been great, and I'm sure I will continue to be smoke free.
0 Kudos
43 Replies
jo-el

i had trouble with this when i first quit. i same day that i quit i went out drinking like i usually do on the weekends but this time i didn't smoke. i really wanted one bad but i had to prove to myself that i could do it. so i took a sip of beer every time that i felt a craving for a smoke. luckily for me i didn't get that drunk since i was around people who smoke also. it was a challenge but i think i did well not smoking. i would suggest that you try that or try drinking with some friends who don't smoke that way you get used to drinking and not smoking and see how well that works.
0 Kudos
scott22

Yeah my first thought when I read your question was just to not drink. I think this is the answer.
0 Kudos
jennifer61

I dont think its essential to quit drinking while trying to quit smoking at the same time, for the same reason they dont ask people to quit smoking while trying to quit drinking. sure drinking lowers your inhibitions, but if you really want to quit you can! This was my biggest fear when I quit just 6 days ago. I drink about 3-4 times a week as well. I have just been trying to not drink as much when I go out, and telling myself that its ok to be tempted, but not to give in. It's good to let your friends know, and hopefully they will be supportive of you. Just the other day I was pretty messed up and about 3 times I bummed a cig from someone, but I had made it very obvious to my close friends that I was about to smoke. They stopped me real quick, which even while I was f'd up is was I really wanted them to do. When I woke up the next day the first thing I said was, "I'm so glad I didn't smoke last night" I just realized that I want it so bad, and all I have to do is never physically light up again. It's nice to have this control over something, we CAN do this!
0 Kudos
edith2

If you really want to quit, I suggest that you make it your no. 1 priority. Your life depends on it. Be willing to go to any lengths to quit smoking. It's not that others are stronger than you. You need to step up to the plate and really be honest about your desire to quit with NO reservations or excuses. I have my opinion about drinking, but that's another topic. If you want to know, you can add me as a friend and ask me about it. But as far as smoking, needing more time to re-motivate yourself is an excuse. You can choose whether or not you want to continue to let smoking control your life. Part of this addiction tells us we don't have an addiction and that we are invincible until we're hooked up to an oxygen tank, and even worse, saying good-bye to our family because we're on our death bed. Smoking is a serious addiction. Don't be a slave to this addiction.
0 Kudos
edith2

If you really want to quit, I suggest that you make it your no. 1 priority. Your life depends on it. Be willing to go to any lengths to quit smoking. It's not that others are stronger than you. You need to step up to the plate and really be honest about your desire to quit with NO reservations or excuses. I have my opinion about drinking, but that's another topic. If you want to know, you can add me as a friend and ask me about it. But as far as smoking, needing more time to re-motivate yourself is an excuse. You can choose whether or not you want to continue to let smoking control your life. Part of this addiction tells us we don't have an addiction and that we are invincible until we're hooked up to an oxygen tank, and even worse, saying good-bye to our family because we're on our death bed. Smoking is a serious addiction. Don't be a slave to this addiction.
0 Kudos
thenewk

so, why not NOT drink?
0 Kudos
kawika47

I think you, like me and the others, have an adictive personality. Some think they can handle the drinking thing but it to can not only be the trigger but can become the addiction. I would say dump them both and then that will not end up being said on an X drinking site someday.
David
0 Kudos
suzzy12345

You may find that you have to stop hanging out with your drinking buddies for awhile while you are quitting smoking. You have to remember that you are in the very early stages of quitting, and are more succeptible to relapsing. You need to be stronger in your quit before you can hang around your friends who continue to smoke. You may find that having that drink is too strong of a trigger for a smoke - so drop the drinking for awhile (until you get stronger in your quit). As for your buddies - see if they will do other things with you for awhile that does not involve drinking. Also, remind them of how you trying to quit, and chances are they when they smoke they will not smoke around you. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
0 Kudos
jen-x

How about before you quit you just try not to smoke when you drink. They say that once you do something 21 times you have a new habit. For two weeks before my quit I didn't smoke after I ate nor in the car.
Good Luck
0 Kudos
jen12

Hi Chris,

I quit for a year and a half once and actually had to avoid drinking for 3 months or so. After that, I was fine drinking and not smoking. I don't think it would have worked had I drank during that time. Not to say you have to stop drinking for a while to quit smoking, everyone is different. This is just what I had to do. When I do set my quit date, I will avoid drinking for 2 - 3 months after that.
0 Kudos