cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Rustoncrow

Do you long term smokers have/ had these same symptoms?

I quit 106 days ago - complete nicotine quit/ no patches or vape. I am 48 year old female, started smoking 27 years ago. I am 115lbs, petite, low body fat, active, decent food diet, no drugs and moderate alcohol. 

I have always known the 'first week symptoms' of crying, anger, hunger, blankness, etc. Those didn't scare me and they were welcomed.

But I DID start freaking out after 2-3 weeks as other online places did not talk about those WEIRD symptoms for the most part. 

Two things - I want confirmation from long term smokers that this is normal-ish - AND let new 'non-smokers' that some weird things are normal. 

1-10 days: tingling fingers and toes, crying, exhaustion, confusion, blank stare, heart palpitations started about day 10.

10-45 days: complete utter exhaustion (head glued to pillow), gas, urinating every 10 minutes it seems, aching muscles, arthritic feet, gums starting to bleed day 20 every time I brush. Palpations so bad I almost went to ER. 

50-95 days: horrid bleeding gums, all joints and muscles and bones ache, arthritic feet, exhausted still but insomnia started day 55 for weeks, dry and flaky and hard fingertips. 

95-106 days: Anxiety is extreme, muscle tics in eyes, restless legs and vibrating muscles in whole body, arthritic feet. Bleeding gums not as bad, insomnia only 70% of the nights, speedy heart rate at night, 'trouble' breathing though feels like might be anxiety. But scary, severe, breathing heavily like I can't get enough oxygen. 

So that is where I am now. I do NOT regret quitting or regret quitting cold turkey. I just had to go through a whole scavenger hunt to find out that some of my symptoms were actually shared by others. Heart palpitations and bleeding gums - who would of thought they come after QUITTING smoking?

And other long termers like me - please chime in.

Thank you!!

18 Replies
Wilddove

Thank you for sharing. I was wondering if some of the symptoms really lasted that long. While I am not looking forward to dealing with them, it does help to prepare me for the battle. Thanks again!

maryfreecig

Do you have a doctor or clinic you go to? Why shouldn't you take your concerns to them as well as Ex? Having symptoms is not a crime and it could be due to anything--diet, breathing, exercise changes, pattern changes because of quitting and so on. Talk with a trusted medical professional. 

When I quit, it was cold turkey. I was a mess. So I don't remember the details of anything--maybe I pee-d a lot because I drank tons of coffee, not because I quit smoking. One step at a time you can sort through what is going on. 

marciem

Hi there... you've gotten good advice above, including to check with your doctor.

Keep in mind that not every twinge, tickle, itch, ache or toe fungus that happens after you quit smoking is related to your having quit smoking, is all I'm trying to say.  Many things you mention could be related, may or may not be related, but some are worth checking with your health care professional.  As well as the nice pat on the back you'll probably get for having quit, it can give them a baseline of what your health after smoking is like.

Sootie

Congratulations on 106 days!!! It's great to be free from nicotine addiction!

You have lots of stuff going on and...as most everyone else here has said, I will echo........always best to check with your doctor. AND WHY NOT?? Enjoy the congratulations he/she is going to give you when they hear you quit smoking!

Wilddove

I was a long term smoker. Quit again 16 days ago. Doesn't sound that impressive yet. Lol. But before I could not get past day 5, so for me it is a breakthrough this time around. I have "quit" several times before, once for 5 years. This time around I am learning the symptoms are more intense, lasting longer or are totally different than before. I truly do not remember feeling this lousy for this long in the past. But then again, when I last quit for good in 2012, I was younger and not dealing with the health issues I have now. As others have mentioned, everything we feel may or may not be related to quitting. I deal with chest pain on a daily basis from fibromyalgia, but since quitting it has been so much worse. So much so I did go to my doctor and am wearing a heart monitor for two weeks. I stand firm on my decision to quit, but am learning that the road to recovery is not easy and in fact harder and more complicated than in the past. So proud of you for sticking it out so far and thank you for your inspiration.

Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on16 days smoke free.  Agreed, it's important to not attribute everything to smoking or quitting smoking.

Barb

marciem

WELCOME, Wilddove‌  !!  16-17 days is certainly impressive, they are the hardest 2+ weeks of any quit.

I want to thank you for posting your insights as to things being more difficult this time around.  How many of us who have relapsed have thought "It's too hard right now, it'll be easier to quit later"  ??? huh?  raise your hands!  I know at some of my attempts I had that thought.  Wilddove here is letting you know.... That's a LIE!   .  The best quit there is is the one you have right now.

As a reminder, if you have one puff, you'll be back where you started.  Where you started is wishing you were where you are right now.

Hold on to that determination and our quit, Wilddove.  We're here to support you any way we can!

0 Kudos
Wilddove

You are exactly right. If I had never picked them up again 3 years ago, I would be 8 years smoke free instead of just days. Thank you for tour encouraging words. Bless you. 

0 Kudos
indingrl

Welcome and please take care of YOU - it sounds very scary and I hope you do go to ER or call your doctor - WE are recovering nicotine addicts - please call your doctor

0 Kudos