cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Rustoncrow

Do you long term smokers have/ had these same symptoms?

I quit 106 days ago - complete nicotine quit/ no patches or vape. I am 48 year old female, started smoking 27 years ago. I am 115lbs, petite, low body fat, active, decent food diet, no drugs and moderate alcohol. 

I have always known the 'first week symptoms' of crying, anger, hunger, blankness, etc. Those didn't scare me and they were welcomed.

But I DID start freaking out after 2-3 weeks as other online places did not talk about those WEIRD symptoms for the most part. 

Two things - I want confirmation from long term smokers that this is normal-ish - AND let new 'non-smokers' that some weird things are normal. 

1-10 days: tingling fingers and toes, crying, exhaustion, confusion, blank stare, heart palpitations started about day 10.

10-45 days: complete utter exhaustion (head glued to pillow), gas, urinating every 10 minutes it seems, aching muscles, arthritic feet, gums starting to bleed day 20 every time I brush. Palpations so bad I almost went to ER. 

50-95 days: horrid bleeding gums, all joints and muscles and bones ache, arthritic feet, exhausted still but insomnia started day 55 for weeks, dry and flaky and hard fingertips. 

95-106 days: Anxiety is extreme, muscle tics in eyes, restless legs and vibrating muscles in whole body, arthritic feet. Bleeding gums not as bad, insomnia only 70% of the nights, speedy heart rate at night, 'trouble' breathing though feels like might be anxiety. But scary, severe, breathing heavily like I can't get enough oxygen. 

So that is where I am now. I do NOT regret quitting or regret quitting cold turkey. I just had to go through a whole scavenger hunt to find out that some of my symptoms were actually shared by others. Heart palpitations and bleeding gums - who would of thought they come after QUITTING smoking?

And other long termers like me - please chime in.

Thank you!!

18 Replies
Brenda_M

I quit eight years ago, so I don't remember much of those early days, but I do remember the tingling in my hands. I think it's due to better circulation. I remember in high school health class seeing a movie about three sets of twins wherein one smoked, and they showed how if they put their hands in cold water and removed it, the smoker-twin couldn't warm up. 

Much of the other stuff doesn't sound like things I read about on here often. It really sounds like you should consult a doctor. 

RoseH

Here is the list of symptoms/side effects of quitting smoking.  Click on the link below Brenda_M

https://www.healthline.com/health/effects-of-quitting-smoking
Brenda_M

All those things you listed sounded normal for both quitting smoking and living in 2020.

But a vibrating feeling throughout your body or muscle tics in one’s eye after three months does not and is not mentioned at your link. It may not be smoking-related, and it could be serious.

Further, such difficult breathing after so long, especially when I heard something recently about an upper respiratory infection going around is also concerning. 😉

@rustoncrow, I stand by my initial assertion that you should really consider speaking with your doctor. I hope you feel better soon. 

RoseH

I agree!  We are not medical professionals...  Making an appointment with your primary care physician is the way to go! Brenda_M‌  and Rustoncrow

RoseH

Brenda_M  There is a long list of things that can happen to us when we quit the use of the drug, Nicotine...  Depression, Anxiety, Lack of Sleep, etc.  I will find my symptoms list and post it here in a few minutes.  However, if any concerns you have  might need medical attention, I am going to suggest you contaact your Primary Care Physician and make an appointment to talk with him and see what he suggests for you...  Rosemary

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Here is an article on the subject.  There are quite a few others online. 

Since I stopped smoking my gums bleed after I brush my teeth. This never happened when I smoked. It'... 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Much of what you listed (even the tingling from increased circulation because of more oxygen).  You have a lengthy list of symptoms that may or not be related to quitting.  Play it safe and check with your doctor.

Congrats on 106 days.

Barb

sweetplt

I am 680 Days quit of all Nicotine product...my best advice to you, is talk to a medical professional, tell them you quit smoking and these ongoing symptoms...see what he or she suggest...none of us are medical experts...some of those symptoms I had in the early days, but your later one’s I must be honest and say No...please let us know what you find out...~ Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 

Barbara145

Hi.  I smoked for 52 years.  My medicine cabinet was full of OTC remedies for this or that. Smoking affects so many things in our bodies. Probably everything.  Blood sugar, digestion upper and lower.  Our brains, our hearts. We all have palpitations.  Some people feel them some don't  Anxiety from quitting certainly expected. A lot of my symptoms continued for about a year.  So glad I stuck with it.  It has been 7 years ago that I quit,  It is the best thing ever.  You are doing great.