cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Maeg

Do I want to quit?

I’m officially 12 hours smoke free, and now I’m questioning my decision to quit. Do I even want to quit? I’m so over this feeling already. All I can think about is walking to the corner store to get a pack and light up. I feel like tearing this patch off and scrapping the entire idea. Why does this seem like a losing battle for me? 

24 Replies
Maeg

Thank you for your affirmations. I may adopt NOPE. I have found already that people in this community are so encouraging. I've even found a little tough love, which works well with me. Thanks again! 

JACKIE1-25-15

You can do it. Believe it!pastedImage_1.jpg

JACKIE1-25-15

By the way... it is not just a habit.  It is an addiction, both physical and psychological.  Stay close

green1611

There is no doubt that you wanted to quit, and hence quitted ! Right?

The question in mind now, is because of nicodemon.  Try to ignore, and you are on sure path of quitting.

All the best 

tibbetsethan

Hello Maeg‌ it's so nice to meet you! I know exactly how you are feeling. I am only 10 days in, so I've been going through the same thing that you are going through right now. It's been ridiculously hard, and some times I absolutely wanted to give in. I was around smokers barely 1 day in who were chainsmoking with me in there even after I asked them politely not to because I told them I was trying to quit. They were my own family or I would have just walked out and went somewhere else. I chewed nicotine gum to get me through that, and still depend very heavily on regular chewing gum. The first 3 days that I quit, even on NRT were Hell. I got incredibly sick, felt like I had the flu.

sI was miserable. I actually ended up on here constantly, you can ask everyone haha. I asked so many questions and did so much reading that I kept my mind constantly busy. Then I got some really bad news about my mom, that she had passed, and later that my own disease that she had that took her life, was also getting bad and that I'd be going to Houston for end of life treatment to try to prolong my life. No matter what through all this I have stayed determined, everything has hit me at once but it has made me determined not to touch nicotine, not to touch any form of tobacco. I was able to quit NRT just 6 days into quitting, and sure I get cravings, but I just pop a piece of minty gum in and try to distract myself. I don't get the cravings as much, not unless I'm doing something that I did related to smoking like drinking caffeine, waking up in the morning, or going to bed. Sometimes I get cravings in between but regular sugar-free gum has helped tremendously. I know you may think you can't quit, but believe me, you can I know you can. If I can keep quit through all the health issues and things going on like that this early in, I believe in you and that you can too.

Listen to these people's stories too because they've all been through so much, had health issues probably even worse than I have honestly. The pain smoking has caused some of these great people on here is immense, so connecting with them will help strengthen you and show you that it is possible. 

Just get it in your mind that you can't go back because it will kill you, that there's no way you can do it. Psych yourself up and tell yourself how nasty smoking is, how bad it smells, how bad it is for your body and everyone around you. Quit like your life depends on it. Read up on the literature, connect with everyone here. Quitting with support is so much easier than quitting on your own. Watch Youtube videos, do whatever it takes. And when you have cravings or feel like crap, occupy yourself.

I believe you can do this, and we are all in this together!

-Ethan 10 DOF

Barbscloud

Concentrate on one day at a time.  If you think about never smoking again, it creates fear and is too overwhelming.

Barb

Christine13

I wish you all the best.  I call it junkie thinking when I quit and then want to go back to smoking again.

Stick with your decision.  I just know you can do this!!  Did you make it through the dinner?

Maeg

I did! When a few friends lit up, it grossed me out. Plus I knew in the back of my mind that if my daughter saw me, she would ask me why I was smoking. She knows I am quitting and is very aware of how hard it is for me. 

0 Kudos

Maeg‌ - welcome! This site helped me through many a craving, it really does help. This was the first time I've used a support group too. Keep us posted, it sounds like you're feeling stronger already in your decision to quit. It does get better, just keep going one minute, hour, day at a time. 

elvan

You have a great attitude, keep it up, it will serve you well on this journey!

Ellen