cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mmossien3

Cold Turkey Help

Quit date is Sept. 22.  I am doing it cold turkey. Is it possible? Has anyone done it? I have tried so many times. I have been smoking for 20 years. The last time I tried to quit I tried Wellbutrin and I became manic. Chantix made me suicidal. I can't afford Patches or nicotine gum.  So I am scared that I am not going to be able to handle the withdrawal.  Please help.  Thanks.

30 Replies
Bellegonia

Quit date 8/27/18

Cold Turkey with Chantix that I stopped taking yesterday (on Day 14) when i realized I didn't need it anymore.

I read everything on here I could get my hands on. Now I'm reading Carr's book and wished I had read it BEFORE I quit. I kust downloaded it onto my phone from Amazon.

We are here for you when your ready and even before

Belle

Sandy-9-17-17

Did you wean off?  Be watchful and protect your quit chantix is a funny thing sometimes!

0 Kudos
Sandi4

Hello mmossien3

I am a cold turkey smoker with 261 Days of Freedom. I chose not to use any NRT's or smoking cessation aids because I didn't want to have to wean myself off anything other than cigarettes. However,  I recommend that you do what's best for you.

I smoked for over 40 years and quit 3 or 4 times before this one.  What made this one stick?  I was ready.  Was it tough?Yep!  But I want this quit like I want my next breath so I stayed close to this site and read everything.  Once you understand the addiction, it's easier (not easy) to fight it.

I wish you all the best with your quit and remember...we're all rooting for you.

Sandi

avian3

I quit cold turkey after 37 years of smoking. It was my only attempt to quit and I have been free for 8 years.

GyorgyiM

43 years........

2 packs a day...........

Woke up one day.........

stopped smoking............

it's been 200 days......+

You know you CAN............and if you REALLY want it..............you Will.

Miles of Smiles..

prjimm01

you got this.  no  worries.  welcome to the ex club my friend!  stick around and let us know how much you love your new life! (I am 1327 days into my new life)

YoungAtHeart

SO good to see you, Jimmie!  Happy to hear you are still quit and loving life!

Speaking of that, what is your new avatar picture?  Grandkids doing a line, perhaps?

Nice, isn't it, to spend time with them without having to lose time smoking?!

Life IS grand when we don't smoke!

0 Kudos
Giulia

prjimm01‌ Jimmie!!!!  Great to see you.  I realize I left you off the /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016?sr=search&searchId=6a3d0208-3e61-461b-8...‌. Not any more!  Cheers!  And so darn glad you're still smoke free!

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

Jimmie, is that Treetops?  Where is it located?

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

I am a cold turkey quitter about to hit one year of freedom from this addiction!  Anyone who is committed to quitting, can do this cold turkey for sure!  Welcome!  And congrats on your upcoming quit date!   Best decision you can make for yourself! 

0 Kudos