cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

adam30

Cold turkey day 1... someone please help !!

Hi everyone... have been a smoker since 8 years now and to a degree where one stick is never enough at a time.. ending up with a pack every day. have been trying to quit since last 6 months and failing every time.. i have tried quiting more than 100 times am sure..the max i could do without a puff was 12 days.. but then replased..

however, due to my declining health it has become essential i do it right now.. so started my first day of cold turkey today.. half day at office has past and Hell i know how difficult it was.. all this while and even now am thinking if i can just borrow a couple of sticks from a friend.. but in mind i know this is how i failed EACH time earlier.. as one is never enough..

on other side i have started doubting my decision... may be i should just try and reduce the intake and give it some time..and slowly over time just stop it ..or try again after a few months... its driving me nuts..please help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
fiddler2

Reducing and planning a date work for some. For me I have to cold turkey. If I try to cut down it just dont work for me. If youve tried quitting that many times, you probally have a good idea what works and what your triggers are. 

Good luck and use the tools on this site. It may help you formulate a plan.

0 Kudos
becky36

Get something to help you!  The Patch, the gum, something!!  It takes enough of that edge off that it's tollerable.  I can honestly say that I cannot make it through the first day without something like that.

0 Kudos
apathy319

having support from family and friends is very influential in your decisions and choices. let them know you are serious about quiting, know what your triggers are and how to avoid them. also drink cranberry juice to help clean the nicotene out of your system...good luck!

0 Kudos
bella15

I agree with Becky use something to take some of the edge off. I use the patch... Seems to help...Way better than cold turkey!!

Good Luck.. Hang in there...

0 Kudos
casey16

Yep, cold Turkey can work for some folks......and I went cold turkey once ......but I ended up smoking again after 2 or 3 yrs. Quitting  "Cold Turkey" means simply STOPPING IMMEDIATELY rather than setting a Stop Smoking Date in the future that you Plan For. So, there really is no detraction from your Cold Turkey Plan nor any other reason NOT to use  the Nicoderm patch, or nicotene gum......something to help overcome the withdrawal stage.

If you take the time to really go through this website like I did today for the first time,  you will see (and I believe it is true) that there are TWO stages of quitting smoking. To Kick the Habit, and to Kick the Addiction.

I am 100% convinced you want to kick the habit. Now just allow yourself some help to kick the addiction.

Good Luck, and stay strong....\

0 Kudos
mykyi

I would definetely try the patch or something like it .  Monday I didn't realize i forgot the patch and was an absolute asshole all day, so much so that my boss sent an email to the company telling everyone to ignore me cause I was quitting smoking.  The next day I was tolerable with the patch and did't have the craving every 10 minutes or so. One other thing that has worked for me so far is carrying a stress ball and everytime I want a cigarette I take it out and squeeze it or bounce it off walls anything to keep my hands busy.  Everyone is different but these things work for me.

Good Luck, you can do it man!

Mike. 

0 Kudos