cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lyndafitz

Can anyone tell me why it is sad

Can anyone tell me why it is sad to think of a future without smoking? I haven’t reached my quit date yet, but I’m getting close. I just don’t understand — because I hate smoking – why it feels like life without a cigarette would be sad.

54 Replies
elvan

I had been quit a little over a week when I took it out of the library.  I found that there were some things I could hang on to...the EASY part was not one of them.  I HAD cut down the last several months that I smoked, I never smoked even half a pack a day during that time and I never smoked more than half a cigarette.  He pointed out that with COPD, you CAN'T...it just gets too hard to smoke and, for me, he was right.  I am so glad that I quit, I MEAN that.  COPD is progressive and not smoking slows it down but it's still progressing...I'd hate to think where I would be if I hadn't stopped.  The 30th is two weeks from today...right?  DO stay close to the site and DO journal what you are feeling so you can look back on it.  You can do this...you know yourself and you know what you are capable of...just don't allow excuses to enter into your head...they will try, be ready for them.  Make your plans.

Remember that we are here and that we ALL want you to be successful.

Ellen

elvan

I know that you are a writer, are you writing at home...by yourself?  I would think that might pose an extra bit of a challenge to quitting.  I hope that if you do work from home that you don't smoke inside.  Remember that this really IS a journey, it helps to keep that in your mind.  It sounds like you have already started the journey in some ways.  Keep going and keep growing.

Ellen

0 Kudos
lyndafitz

Yes, and yes. At least I’m usually alone here when I write. I will definitely keep that in mind as a pitfall. But when I’m writing, I don’t think of food or time or cigarettes or anything. It’s when I quit writing that they come to mind.

Lynda Fitzgerald

Author, LIVE Series

www.fitzgeraldwrites.com

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos or "auto corrects."

0 Kudos
elvan

PLAN something to do when you stop writing, some sort of activity that would not remind you of smoking or, better yet, do something that would make smoking impossible.  Take a shower, do jumping jacks, go to a store where you can't smoke, drink a tall glass of water, SING, dance...PLAN, PLAN, PLAN.  It helps to have some sort of intervention in mind when you feel triggered and there is no reason to think you won't feel triggered at the same time as usual...when you quit writing.  You may think of it as sort of a "reward cigarette" and those are challenging to get past but challenging is not the same as impossible.  You CAN do this!

Ellen

lyndafitz

Thank you, Ellen. I’m saving these messages to read over and over, especially as the quit date gets closer. I like the idea of going to a store. When I’m out and about, I never think about smoking.

Lynda Fitzgerald

Author, LIVE Series

www.fitzgeraldwrites.com

maryfreecig

The addiction can make quitting seem like a betrayal of something that seems all important and vital--the cigs are only the delivery system for nicotine which is a powerful drug.. It doesn't feel that way because we take it/took it constantly. The reality of not liking smoking, but craving a cigarette can leave one feeling split in two at the start of a quit.  BUT all of this can be turned around with a plan, a support system.   Quitting is a journey of undoing the nicotine dependency--and it of course starts with putting the cigs down. Eventually the brain adjusts, eventually you get to celebrate. 

Lean on your strengths, and look for inspiration and support (like EX) to help with the blues. Yes you can one day at a time.

lyndafitz

The message just came through. At first it said that it had no content. 

It helps so much to talk to people who are going through it or who have been through it. I didn’t really realize how alone I felt the last time I tried to quit, but that feeling is gone now.

0 Kudos
elvan

The fact that you know you are not alone is really good...this site is a life saver...I could never have stayed quit without the support from the people here.  As a writer,  you might find it really helpful to keep a journal.  I am really happy to hear the strength coming through in your posts.  You'll make it.

Ellen

0 Kudos
lyndafitz

I’m embarrassed to say it, but it never occurred to me to journal about this. I’ll start on it right now, and thank you for your vote of confidence, Ellen.

Lynda Fitzgerald

Author, LIVE Series

www.fitzgeraldwrites.com

BHnCA

As my quit date nears, I have been wondering the same thing. I’ve smoked for 40+ years off and on and I WANT to quit - more so than in my past attempts to do so.  I should feel good about letting go of this piece of myself, but something about it scares me even though I’ve been reading lots on this site and others. Don’t get me wrong, I can already tell why the support and education is so critical. I’ve even been keeping a daily log of my cravings, what they’re associated with, and how I will arm myself against them. It felt good doing that at first. I felt empowered.  But today I woke up feeling very anxious about all of it and wondering who I am without a cigarette. Does every quitter feel this waffling anxiety? 

0 Kudos