cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lyndafitz

Can anyone tell me why it is sad

Can anyone tell me why it is sad to think of a future without smoking? I haven’t reached my quit date yet, but I’m getting close. I just don’t understand — because I hate smoking – why it feels like life without a cigarette would be sad.

54 Replies
lyndafitz

I’m a newbie to. Actually my quit smoking date is May 14, but I’m down to around five cigarettes a day. I don’t want it to be a total shock to my system when I say no more. That’s that worked for anyone else?

Lynda Fitzgerald

Author, LIVE Series

www.fitzgeraldwrites.com

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos or "auto corrects."

0 Kudos

I did it that way, Lynda whereas others went out with a big chain smoking hurrah! I don't believe that this particular decision has had much prediction as to who kept their quit and who relapsed. It's more about keeping your Quit Date sacred and each and every day afterwards honoring your decision.

lyndafitz

That date is sacred to me. I was a heavy smoker. Almost two packs a day. So I thought tapering might be easier on my system. I’m getting there, and you guys help more than you can know.

Lynda Fitzgerald

Author, LIVE Series

www.fitzgeraldwrites.com

elvan

Thomas is so right...honor your quit date and don't let ANYTHING get in the way of it...unless it is quitting earlier.  Once you start your journey, keep going one step at a time...baby steps count.  If one day at a time seems to long, make it one minute at a time or one experience at a time.  You do not HAVE to smoke but your addiction is going to tell you differently.  It is the villain in this story...

I quit cold turkey because I got really sick, I had tried many times in the past to quit but until I found this site, I was like a fish out of water.  The support and direction here make this journey possible.  

Ellen

0 Kudos
lyndafitz

The support is amazing. I love to see a become an ex message pop up in my inbox. I read every one and go to the site often.

Lynda Fitzgerald

Author, LIVE Series

www.fitzgeraldwrites.com

Barbscloud

Lynda,

I actually did it that way this time in conjunction with nicotrol inhalers, a smoking cessation class and the Ex.  I'm so happy I found this website.  Getting encouraging text messages everyday leading up to my quit date made a big difference.  I actually looked forward to receiving them. Still being smoke free for 45 days, I credit to the support I've received on this site.  Reach out for help when you need it.  These wonderful Ex'ers saved my quit several times.  And take the daily pledge each day committing not to smoke.  It has really helped me stay smoke free one day at a time.

Here is how I cut down.  For a week prior to my quit date, I reduced the number of cigarettes each day.  But I was on a strict schedule - never deviated.  One every hour, then 2 hours, 3 hours, etc. until I was down to 3 cigarettes on my last day.  It really worked for me this time.  By the time I actually quit, I had eliminated those habitual cigarettes tied to some routine.  I smoked each cigarette very purposefully.  Didn't let my mind wander off to the days events, etc.  That's how I'd end up smoking more than one in the past!

Hope this helps.  We each have to follow our own path, but there's lots of good information and advice here to be successful.

lyndafitz

Like you, I really look forward to my messages. They keep me focused. And every message from any of you exer’s makes me feel good that I’m about to become a part of your nonsmoking group.

Lynda Fitzgerald

Author, LIVE Series

www.fitzgeraldwrites.com

0 Kudos
lyndafitz

It really does help. I knew that was the way to do it, then I read that book about smoking, “the easy way to quit,” and he said to smoke until the last minute. Then quit. That’s not my way. I have to ease out of it. I will be cutting down at least two cigarettes a day until I quit. Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

Lynda Fitzgerald

Author, LIVE Series

www.fitzgeraldwrites.com

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Lynda.  I'm reading Allen Carr's book now; after I quit.  It was referenced so often, I wanted to see what it was all about.  You have to take what works for you from whatever source.  Do I agree with him that's it's easy to quit?  Heck no.  When I saw he has a book to fix every dependency "the easy way", well I'm skeptical.  The idea that I did find helpful is that as soon as we finish a cigarette, we're going through withdrawal.  So when we think a smoking is relieving our stress, sadness, etc., we're really just satisfying our nicotine addiction.  So of course, we feel better.

Stay committed to your quit date of 5/30. 

lyndafitz

The book at a lot of good ideas, it just wasn’t the panacea that he thinks it is and that I hoped it was. I’m committed to that 5/30 quit date!

Lynda Fitzgerald

Author, LIVE Series

www.fitzgeraldwrites.com

0 Kudos