cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dani_2017

Anyone looking for a quit smoking buddy?

Hi All, 

My name is Danielle and I'm on my third day smoke free. Last cigarette was on 7/26/17. I smoked for 5 years. Today has definitely been the hardest so far. I think this would be a little easier if I had someone to quit with me/ go through the process with me. Anyone interested? 

Thanks for reading! 

Tags (1)
102 Replies
Dani_2017

Thanks, Ellen! You're the best. 

Tralow65‌ there is a helpful article that Ellen tagged for you above about NRT ^

It would also be a good idea to write a blog post asking about NRT, as Ellen mentioned, if you feel that you'd like more information about it. 

0 Kudos
Dani_2017

0 Kudos
Dani_2017

steph.mcc93 My tag to you didn't work this morning, my apologies! I've copied and pasted my comment below. Please let me know if there's anything I can help with. Welcome to the community! 

"Good morning to both of you! Apologies for the slow response, I'm usually online here at least once a day but didn't check the site for the holiday weekend.

In regards to what you said Steph, I think that everyone worries about failure in some regard. What you're feeling is normal. But, as I've read many times on this website, "the only way out is through." For me, the system of support has helped me in times of need and stress. It's also important at this stage for you to think through your quit plan. Try to think ahead of time what your triggers may be and write it all down. It's better to do that part ahead of time than to be surprised by it when the times comes. 

And to you Tralow65, I actually went cold turkey, so I don't have any knowledge on patches or NRT. For me personally, I bought a LOT of regular gum (none NRT) and will chew a piece when a craving comes. I think that Diannnnn may be able to give some advice/thoughts about NRT if I'm remembering correctly. @elvan what articles about NRT would you recommend? Any thoughts to share about that?" 

0 Kudos
Tralow65

Hi in Tracy my quit date is the 10th and I'm nervous about the cravings that will come I ordered some patches what else do you suggest?

0 Kudos
Diannnnn

Hi steph.mcc93‌ and Tralow65‌! I am not sure how often Dani gets on here, but I didn't want your posts to go unnoticed for too long. 

I am not good at posting links, especially on my phone, but a lot of who we call the Elders are. YoungAtHeart‌ or elvan‌ are just two who can guide you. 

Welcome to EX and good luck!

0 Kudos
Tralow65

Thank you

0 Kudos
elvan

Wow, thanks Diannnnn‌ for the vote of confidence.  I usually post links to other people's blogs...blogs that I know are helpful and that I cannot improve upon.  Here are some of my favorites from JonesCarpeDiem‌ What To Expect In The First Four Months and My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching)  and there are a couple from JACKIE1-25-15‌ that I will also link here:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2017/07/20/are-you-new-here  and /blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2017/08/07/plan-prepare-practice-to-protect  YoungAtHeart‌ has a lovely welcoming blog but I don't have a link to it.  I am sure she will be along shortly.

I can tell you to try to figure out what your triggers are and then to plan for things to do OTHER than smoke when they occur...they WILL occur.  You have to make your quit your first priority for a while.  You should come to the site every morning and every evening and in between if you can.  Read all of the blogs you can and see how other people are doing, write blogs let us know how YOU are doing and any problems that you are having, any ways that we might be able to help.  We want very much to help you to be successful.

Remember that smoking does nothing FOR you, it is an addiction that does lots TO you.  No crave ever killed anyone and no one can say that about smoking.  Quitting is scary at first but it is so empowering and it begins a journey of self discovery...it is really amazing.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

Diannnnn

Oh Ellen....you don't give yourself enough credit!

0 Kudos
afriedh1

Hey there,  this is day 3 for me.  It is hard, especially after work & dinner 

0 Kudos

Hang In There. Time Is The Healer.

0 Kudos