cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Aly_smiles

Anyone else quitting VAPING?

I quit smoking 3-4 years ago and transitioned to vaping. I’m talking about the fancy vaping with a mod, tank & e-liquid - much more potent than Juul which I tried but didn’t satisfy me. I quit 2 days ago and I think it’s even harder than quitting smoking! The addiction is more insidious because I would vape constantly instead of stepping outside to have a cigarette once in a while. Since there was no smoke smell, I vaped everywhere...in my house, bed, car, in front of my daughter, and secretly in public bathrooms and other places. I got so used to holding my vaporizer in my hand ALL the time. Now it’s in the dumpster and I’m chewing nicotine gum. It’s been difficult, to say the least. Anyone in a similar situation or someone who could offer some advice?

51 Replies
MaryRobin

I have been blogging and reading and doing my “prep work” to quit vaping, with a quit date in place and coming up soon; in the meantime, I am limiting my usage to almost nothing....But nothing is coming. I am noting my triggers, getting my tool kit in place, and listening/reading all of these posts from people on this site who have been through the process of quitting. You can do this!!! My biggest take away so far is that it is possible to beat nicotine addiction, and if it is possible than we must! I am with you and all that are out there on this journey of becoming forever nicotine free- FREE! That word sums up my mantra, and I hope can give you inspiration, too. No doubt it is hard, but we can and must do this if we want to live and be free from addiction. Keep going, one clean breath at a time, and know there are people here to support you....including me.

Great response. How are you doing. Have you reached your quit date? I am on day 4

0 Kudos
MaryRobin

On Day 4, as well: Yesterday was hard. I got stuck in traffic (they closed the major freeway on my commute) and I almost lost my mind.... and work has been insane this week, so that helped and hurt. But I made it.....no vaping. 

When I am occupied, I am fine, but in the quiet downtime’s and after meals, I really miss it....My mind is doing tricks like, “Just go buy one pack”, but I know from all my research that this is the addiction and not a need. Someone had written me before I quit that “it won’t kill me to stop” and that is helping....Even when I feeling like a NEED it, it won’t kill me to wait it out. And I am convinced that it WILL kill me (eventually) if I continued....

So that is where I am. I am also glad I am quitting while the ban on vapes is going on and the news is full of information about how dangerous it is- that helps. I can always find a news article to read during a craving and it reminds me why I am putting myself through this.

How are you??

Congrats so far, and Happy Day 4! 

Barbscloud

Congrats on day 4.    I quit smoking in my car like 3 cars ago.  I traveled the highways daily, so I know how hard that is.  I wasn't trying to quit smoking then, so music was my life saver.  When I did quit, I kept Sour Patch Kids and straws to chew on in my car.  I still keep something in my car to read so when I arrive early, I read instead of smoking.   You're doing great.  Those thoughts of "just one" are normal, but you know that's not going to work for you.   It will get easier one day at a time.   And keep reminding yourself "I don't do that anymore".  Of course, using the site like you do, is going to help you achieve your goal.

Barb

Educating myself is so helpful. I feel you about the car. I have two kids so i dodnt  smoke with them in the car which is most of the time. Only when i was alone in the car so that’s not as triggering for me. I like the mental talk you use reminding yourself you don’t need it. That not smoking won’t kill you. I also believe continuing to smoke will keep me. Something someone on her suggested was reframing my thinking of i am giving up smoking and instead of thinking what i am gaining. More freedom. Self confidence. Health. A better future for my family. More money. Thanks for commenting. 

Xyerah

Hi Aly! I am on day 1, technically I quit last night about 5, but I didn’t find this website until later in the evening, so I put my quit date for today! I had smoked cigarettes since I was 13 (I’m 48 now) I quit those 5 years ago and moved to the vape pen where I could choose my own flavor (cinnamon yum) big mistake! I haven’t touched a “real” cigarette in these 5 years, woohooo! 

Now I'm trying to quit vaping, it’s hard! It’s the down time I have problems with, what do you do with your hands? Just like with cigarettes. That is driving me crazy! I am about to get in the car with my husband, that’s really going to test me! 

Anyway, good luck to you and everyone else! I believe in magic lol  

Xyerah

Sept. 7, 2019 Day 1

MaryRobin

Keep us posted!! I hear you and relate!! Thinking of you and wishing you well with your quit!!

Aly_smiles

Thank you! I’m hooked on cinnamon too!

How is it going for you. I am on day 4. I also believe in magic lol. Hope you have a great vape free day 

0 Kudos
randrewk

I feel we're somewhat kindred spirits.  I am 51 and never smoked cigarretes for long, I tried them a couple of times as well as cigars but never really got hooked.  About 8 years ago I started vaping and it is really hard to quit.  Down times are hard for me.  I was fleeing my office to hide in the mens room and vape during the day, a big waste of time.  At home I would sneak in the bathroom after meals and sometimes in the morning on weekends.  My family all know I do it and it makes them mad.  I feel sick a lot of the time and know I will be better without the JUUL but I still crave it.  This is day 2 for me.