cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Aly_smiles

Anyone else quitting VAPING?

I quit smoking 3-4 years ago and transitioned to vaping. I’m talking about the fancy vaping with a mod, tank & e-liquid - much more potent than Juul which I tried but didn’t satisfy me. I quit 2 days ago and I think it’s even harder than quitting smoking! The addiction is more insidious because I would vape constantly instead of stepping outside to have a cigarette once in a while. Since there was no smoke smell, I vaped everywhere...in my house, bed, car, in front of my daughter, and secretly in public bathrooms and other places. I got so used to holding my vaporizer in my hand ALL the time. Now it’s in the dumpster and I’m chewing nicotine gum. It’s been difficult, to say the least. Anyone in a similar situation or someone who could offer some advice?

51 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome and big congrats on day two.  I never vaped, but reading all of your posts has been emotional.  I really feel for all you--if it's possible, it sounds harder than quitting smoking.  I'm so excited for you (and so many others) making this choice.  Please reach out if we can support you.

Barb

0 Kudos
Ltadd321

I just found this site last night. I am considering quiting vaping. I liked the of picking a quit date but wonder if it's better to go cold turkey. I was thinking having a date in the future would be helpful so I dont beat myself up if I slip up. Thoughts?

I didn't set a date.

I started telling myself "I'm going to wait a little longer" when I thought of smoking.

I didn't deny myself. I didn't count.

I built up no anxiety about quitting in this way.

After 4 weeks, I had proven I didn't need to smoke just because I thought of smoking or normally would have.

I never slipped because I was ready. I was ready because of what I just explained to you.

Ltadd321

Yes. I hate being told what to do. Even if its by myself! Lol. This way I am in control and have set a date and I'm telling myself I will be done vaping by that date. But in the meantime I get to control if and how much I vape. I have already cut down alot and plan to ween myself off it.

Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit.   We're all different in what works for us.  I found having a quit date helpful and cut down each day that week leading up to my quit.  I also utilized the text messages sent daily from the Ex during that week.  They were motivational for me.

Barb

Like (0)  Reply Actions 
Amlatt

Hi I am a smart turkey vape quitter (that is what I read versus calling it cold turkey) and I was vaping heavy (in the closet meaning hiding it from my family and friends) for 3 years. I am on day 6 and it is hard but I am now sucking on sugar free cough drops like crazy and have varied my routine, but went out last night and was able to get through the evening alright - so proud of myself for this accomplishment. I am feeling confused and kind of scattered mind thoughts also and having some trouble with remembering some common things....but this will pass I know it is nicotine withdrawal and my every fiber in my mind and body is doing this and it is hard and so worth it. I tried to 'ween' or cut back for years and it was like a crazy guilt ridden self sabotaging adventure.... that I had no control of.  So my quit plan was to wake up: threw out all vaping items and went from there on this journey....so it is possible to do this.....I am doing it and sticking with it and really determined....I am going to keep adding to my list of reasons I quit and keep this with me at all times.....distraction helps me like if I do these leg lifts for five minutes or just look around the room at orange things or blue things or red things, I am finding the urge has passed and I can make it another 5 minutes.....One thing that stuck me as so odd is that I have mourned the loss of my dear friend Nicotine, like a person who died suddenly....I was so sad about it the first few days, but I am loving my freedom and really glad I went cold turkey or as Exers call it Smart Turkey.....on to the next five minutes......YOU CAN DO THIS TOO

NOPE

DOF 6 Ginny

AllieAllerson

Congrats that is an awesome success story and so good to hear. I like the idea of the leg lifts or looking for colors in the room while the urge passes. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit.   We're all different in what works for us.  I found having a quit date helpful and cut down each day that week leading up to my quit.  I also utilized the text messages sent daily from the Ex during that week.  They were motivational for me.

Barb

Aly_smiles

Well I’m proud to announce that I quit smoking 6 days ago but on the same day returned to vaping, sadly. I was going crazy! The nicotine or act of vaping is an emotional crutch for me and a distraction as I have severe anxiety and depression. Unfortunately I’m not working right now so I have all the time on my hands to obsess about it. I had tried throwing away my vaping stuff but that’s when I started smoking again. Then I bought more vaping stuff after I quit smoking. I can’t really afford either. This has been a vicious cycle. Any ideas on how to be stronger and gain willpower? Much appreciated.

AllieAllerson

Aly I think I just want you to know you have people here that support you and to be kind to yourself. I messed up too. None of us are perfect and like someone on here told me it is positive that you acknowledge it and are moving ahead. I have gone back and forth in my head about buying a patch or gum. Realistically I do not have $60 to spend on the patch from walgreens and then I worry about using that as a crutch. I think you just have to acknowledge it is a beast of an addiction, and do the best you can each day. You can do it and if you have a setback then that does not mean you can't start over and stop the next day or even next hour. I hope that is somewhat helpful.