cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Aly_smiles

Anyone else quitting VAPING?

I quit smoking 3-4 years ago and transitioned to vaping. I’m talking about the fancy vaping with a mod, tank & e-liquid - much more potent than Juul which I tried but didn’t satisfy me. I quit 2 days ago and I think it’s even harder than quitting smoking! The addiction is more insidious because I would vape constantly instead of stepping outside to have a cigarette once in a while. Since there was no smoke smell, I vaped everywhere...in my house, bed, car, in front of my daughter, and secretly in public bathrooms and other places. I got so used to holding my vaporizer in my hand ALL the time. Now it’s in the dumpster and I’m chewing nicotine gum. It’s been difficult, to say the least. Anyone in a similar situation or someone who could offer some advice?

51 Replies
Barbscloud

Hopefully some vapers' will respond.  In any event, it's still nicotine withdrawal so I think what applies to quitting smoking also applies.  Most of smoker's already had to restrict where we could smoke, so I understand vaping does pose some unique challenges.    If you do a search on the magnifying class about vaping you''ll find some information and other vaper's.  Do you have a quit plan?  Education about nicotine withdrawal and preparation are the key to success.   We're here to support you on your journey.  Congrats on 2 days of success!

Barb

AllieAllerson

Hi Aly today was my quit day. I threw both my juuls out and I am miserable. My chest is really tight and I am panicking a bit but I know it is going to be worth it. I smoked at least a pod per day for the last year and was a non-smoker before this. Someone at work told me I should try it for anxiety and the addiction took off from there. This support group is the only thing that's been helpful because I am too embarrassed to talk with friends and family about this. I don't think they would understand what a beast it is. I am here if you need support and others are too. It has helped me to read other posts about vaping. 

Aly_smiles

Hi Allie. Thanks for your response and knowing I’m not alone. Since I posted, I caved and actually went back to real cigarettes - worse than ever! I ended up smoking one pack per day because I was so used to vaping so much. I never had smoked that much before - it’s the vaping that makes you feel like you need the constant nicotine! Even the smoking hasn’t been enough and I thought of reverting to vaping but really I just want to quit it ALL! This is madness!

indingrl

WELCOME - congrats on knowing YOUR NICOTINE ADDICTION - WAY TO GO choosing life and loving YOU to pic a quit date and blog BEFORE YOU take that first PUFF - please give us time to answer - gentle hug

marciem

Hi Aly_smiles‌ !!  I'm sorry to read that you caved and smoked... cigarettes even ...

You want to quit it all, and that is GREAT.  You will be doing yourself a huge favor and giving yourself the gifts of life and breath!!

So, now what?  My best advice would be, read everything you can about nicotine addiction.  Though you vaped, getting over the nicotine addiction is the same process.

You do need to realize, when you think you can't stand it anymore.... you CAN!  And those "feelings", "cravings", "urges"... they will not kill you.  Smoking or vaping or putting stuff in your lungs that doesn't belong there can.  

So... now you need to make a plan for when you have re-quit, and you feel like your choice is to kill somebody or smoke/vape... what will you do instead?  Come here and type to us about it is a start.  Read and post, post and read, keeps your hands busy.  Be determined that no matter what else you do, you will not smoke/vape for any reason.  If you are quitting smoking and/or vaping, and you smoke or vape, then you're doing it wrong, to paraphrase long-term member and quitter JonesCarpeDiem‌ .  The only way to quit is to stop.  Stop feeding the addiction and it will eventually go to sleep and not bother you.  But you do have to stop. Period.  Simple.  Not easy, no no no not easy, but simple.  Never smokers will say "How hard can it be to NOT do something?"  Well its hard as hell I will vouch for that.!!

So make your plan, quit again (don't try, there is no try only DO  ) and follow the recipes handed to you here from other's experiences!

Best to you!

AllieAllerson

Thank you marciem. It is definitely hard as hell. I have been through some awful things in my 36 years of life and smoking was always something I thought I would "never" do until I picked up that damn vape pen. It is definitely a lesson that you should never think that you couldn't struggle with something. I have watched my boyfriend smoke for the last seven years and silently judged him but now I get it and am in the same boat. And it turns out- now that I have done research after the fact- with the amount of juul pods I was going through it was over a pack of cigarettes a day. So I have really outdone myself on this one. I cannot thank you enough for your and everyone's support on this site. I am so thankful I found it. 

nicotine is pretty much out of your body in 3 days. Then your body adjusts for 2-3 weeks.

As long as you're still using nicotine you keep your nicotine receptors calling for more.

indingrl

CONGRATS 2 NICOTINE FREE DAYS

Mandolinrain

I never vaped but before I quit I had considered it. Anyway, the nicotine withdrawal is the same for all of us I would imagine. Stay near the site and read as much as you can. The tips smokers use to keep busy will work just as well for you. We all had to find ways to keep our hands busy  We are here for you guys