cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Advice from NRT users

As I am doing a gradual quit, I’d love to hear from anyone that went that route.  I’m scared of the patch and I don’t know if that is rational or normal.  I’ll be using 7mg ones with lozenges as back up.  I talked to the quit coaches about when the 8 weeks was up and wouldn’t stopping the patch cause a huge withdrawl as I have been doing in increments of a mg here and there.  All they could tell me was the science of it works.  Yes, I’ll have cravings, but the weeks will give me time to develop ways to manage the cravings if I cut down the lozenges and find other ways to live thru them. 

I admire all you who took the cold plunge, but I’ve weighed my options against a very sad 2 months coming up.  I’d appreciate not being told about it as I have been here a while, read many personal stories and read all the info on addiction.  I’ve also read it isn’t just the nicotine, it’s the additives as well that play a part in this.  My proof was myself when I switched from total smoking to the equivalent in replacements and felt withdrawl.  

On the plus side, I’ve made actual smoking (less than 3 a day now) such a hassle, that it annoys me and it’s so low I’m not liking the rush.   Dissipates too fast.  I can only handle a couple drags and my body says....enough.  I’ve even forgotten times I normally would have some.  

22 Replies
desiree465

Woohoo! Less then 3 a day, I would have never been able to do that before my quit, but I wish I would have tried. You're going to go through withdraw no matter what you do, you're gonna have to mentally prepare for that because it is what it is. You're going through it now, so what do you do when you want that 4th cigarette but you don't smoke it? That's the kinda stuff you'll be doing when you are totally free of the sick sticks. I've read a lot of people say they're scared to quit, I was and I'm wondering if that's the fear you're feeling maybe not necessarily fear of the patch. What other questions do you have? You know how much we love to weigh in so fire away.

YoungAtHeart

Do what you think best for you, but if you are down to only 3 cigarettes a day, you are receiving 3 mg or so of nicotine.  A 7 mg patch AND lozenges will be giving you much more than that.   You are going through withdrawal all day at your current rate of smoking.  I am not understanding why you are so afraid of withdrawal symptoms.  No matter your plan, your body will need to adjust a bit with zero nicotine.   While there may be a bit of mood swings and perhaps some mild digestive issues, that's the worst it will get at your current step down.  If you feel you must use an NRT, perhaps cut the 7 mg patch in half, or use a lozenge only -  if you can find one with a small amount of nicotine, or only use it for a short amount  of time

The most difficult part of a quit, I think, is finding ways to deal with the associations and triggers.  If you have also been practicing changing up your routines and have a plan in place how to handle the few remaining of those with a shake of your head, saying "NOPE," slow/deep breaths or any of a myriad of other things we suggest, you should have an easy time of it.....................

REALLY!  You CAN do this!  You have already proven it with your successful step down approach.  Don't overthink it.  Jump in - I promise it won't be that bad!

Nancy

elvan

I know you have some emotional triggers coming up...I also know that you are counting on the nicotine to make them bearable.  I was afraid to feel things too, it was probably the biggest reason that I smoked.  I couldn't smoke very much the last few months that I smoked because my lungs were not having it.  I could take one or two puffs off a cigarette and then I had to put it out.  I NEVER re-lit a cigarette because once I saw that accumulation of dark brown stuff on the end of the filter, there was no way I was putting that in my body.  I hope you do not smoke inside of your house because I think it really makes it a little easier when you have to go outside to smoke, when you don't have any creature comforts to associate with smoking.  Eventually, if you are to be successful, you will have to get down to no nicotine, how long that takes is really up to you.  

NOPE was my mantra and I used it countless times a day...I was also on this site every single morning and every single evening and I read and read and I paid attention to what was working for other people.  I knew that there was no way that I could be that different from everyone else here.

We are here for you, I really like YoungAtHeart‌'s idea of cutting a patch in half...

Ellen

anaussiemom

Your doing great!!

tumblr_mb2xjwqtDM1r2dpibo1_400.gif

Gwenivere

Youngatheart, I will not be using cigs when I switch to the patch.  Why am I so afraid of withdrawal feelings?  From what I’ve experienced so far, I don’t think anyone would say they like feeling this awful.  The natural urge is to avoid things that are very uncomfortable.  

I didn’t/don’t  smoke because of issues.  (I read all the lit here about that).  I smoked because it was a habit.  An addiction I didn’t even know I had until people started to quit.  It IS an issue now for one reason.  I’m facing 2 of the toughest months of the year revolving around grief and loneliness.  It is going to make an intense emotional time even worse.  Elvan, bearable only for not adding more challenges at this time.  It never made good or bad times better.  My body was just used to nicotine.  That’s it.  

Is NOPE an acronym?  I get the never another puff,  but th at doesn’t fit the O.  

0 Kudos
desiree465

not one puff ever NOPE learn it, live it, love it

Gwenivere

Desiree, I just don’t smoke a 4th cigarette.  I’ve been cutting back as my body can take it.  I notice it sometimes, sometimes I just forget.  I figure if I forget it, just let it go.  Other times the lozenges seem more appealing.  

0 Kudos
virgomama

I did a gradual quit and also used the patches.  I started with the 7mg patch as I was down to 3-5 cigarettes a day.  My first day on the patch was a little strange,  but after that it was smooth sailing.   I had no cravings, even when I had triggers I didn't feel the need nor did I want to smoke.    I liked everything about the patch.  Put it on in the a.m. and sail through my day w/o any problem.  Didn't have to think about it or do anything. I would have stayed on them as long as need be to keep my quit.  It happened I was ready be nicotine free as well as smoke free so I jumped off.  But I honestly would have had no guilt continuing to use them. 

Gwenivere, you are doing fine.  Everybody has their own process.  My nicotine addicted mind played loop de loops with me for years before.  Quit several times.  But each loop and each quit got me closer to my final destination which is being smoke free.  The more I failed the more determined I got.  Trust your own process.  Trust the patch. Trust yourself.  Just trust.

Cindy

Mandolinrain

You are smart by reading everything and all the stories....we all have our own journey to take on our road to freedom as do you. Some found they struggled more by doing it someones else way. All any of us can do is to share how we each quit and how well it worked for us. I think just you being here to stay active is going to greatly improve your journey whatever route you take. ...you have our support!