cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Advice from NRT users

As I am doing a gradual quit, I’d love to hear from anyone that went that route.  I’m scared of the patch and I don’t know if that is rational or normal.  I’ll be using 7mg ones with lozenges as back up.  I talked to the quit coaches about when the 8 weeks was up and wouldn’t stopping the patch cause a huge withdrawl as I have been doing in increments of a mg here and there.  All they could tell me was the science of it works.  Yes, I’ll have cravings, but the weeks will give me time to develop ways to manage the cravings if I cut down the lozenges and find other ways to live thru them. 

I admire all you who took the cold plunge, but I’ve weighed my options against a very sad 2 months coming up.  I’d appreciate not being told about it as I have been here a while, read many personal stories and read all the info on addiction.  I’ve also read it isn’t just the nicotine, it’s the additives as well that play a part in this.  My proof was myself when I switched from total smoking to the equivalent in replacements and felt withdrawl.  

On the plus side, I’ve made actual smoking (less than 3 a day now) such a hassle, that it annoys me and it’s so low I’m not liking the rush.   Dissipates too fast.  I can only handle a couple drags and my body says....enough.  I’ve even forgotten times I normally would have some.  

22 Replies
virgomama

When I finally started reading about the addictive side of smoking.  And looked at that was when I finally realized why I had never been successful at quitting or even wanted to quit.  It's like the light bulb turned on in my head.  Once I got down into my gut that this was an addiction it somehow  turned on the switch I needed.  I am a serious quitter now.  I'm still new but I'm determined this will be my last one.  The health stuff never stopped me, the smell, cost, lack of energy, you name it.  But looking at this from wow, I'm addicted.  This is an ADDICTION that has control over me to the point I will kill my body over it.  That flat woke me up.  I'm an all in not one puff ever girl now.  And it started with the very realization you just mentioned.....This quitting showed me I was addicted to nicotine........  There's your first step Gwenivere, there's your breakthrough.  Take it and run!!

Cindy

maryfreecig

I did not quit heroically. While I did not use the patches or gum, I clung to coffee, straws, sucker candy, extra food, and watched youtube videos of quitters telling their success stories. I suppose I can say that I quit cold turkey, though I planned for nearly three weeks. Ultimately it has taken time to unlearn the addiction. Many things that I enjoy in life --but am not dependent on--I can let go of pretty easily. I let go and don't bother wondering about my identity or well being. Cigarettes and smoking? When I quit, I wondered how in hell was I ever going to be right with myself again. Only in this way did I understand just a little how nasty the dependency was. Coming back together...well I walked on eggshells. So, while I did not have a traditional NRT quit, I still understand and respect your feelings and approach to quitting. 

At first in my quit, I said, if I do not get better, I'm going to smoke, just not today. I really meant that!!! 

Keep walking toward your goal, one day at a time.

elvan

I KNEW I was addicted, why else would I keep on smoking when my breathing was getting harder and harder, why else would I keep quitting and failing at my quits? It took a near death experience to wake me up and show me my choice...life as it is...impaired for sure or DEATH with the unknown before me and the thoughts of those I love so much who I would be leaving behind.  Yes, I am an addict, I choose to be in recovery.

Ellen