cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Advice from NRT users

As I am doing a gradual quit, I’d love to hear from anyone that went that route.  I’m scared of the patch and I don’t know if that is rational or normal.  I’ll be using 7mg ones with lozenges as back up.  I talked to the quit coaches about when the 8 weeks was up and wouldn’t stopping the patch cause a huge withdrawl as I have been doing in increments of a mg here and there.  All they could tell me was the science of it works.  Yes, I’ll have cravings, but the weeks will give me time to develop ways to manage the cravings if I cut down the lozenges and find other ways to live thru them. 

I admire all you who took the cold plunge, but I’ve weighed my options against a very sad 2 months coming up.  I’d appreciate not being told about it as I have been here a while, read many personal stories and read all the info on addiction.  I’ve also read it isn’t just the nicotine, it’s the additives as well that play a part in this.  My proof was myself when I switched from total smoking to the equivalent in replacements and felt withdrawl.  

On the plus side, I’ve made actual smoking (less than 3 a day now) such a hassle, that it annoys me and it’s so low I’m not liking the rush.   Dissipates too fast.  I can only handle a couple drags and my body says....enough.  I’ve even forgotten times I normally would have some.  

22 Replies
desiree465

I like cutting the patch in half too. It's probably considered off label use but who cares. 

quittin4me

Hello!

A few weeks before I quit, I started feeling sick when I would smoke. So, I can empathize with your feeling about your body not being able to tolerate the chemicals and the effects of a cigarette. When I quit, I used NRT (patch and lozenge) as well. I started with 14 mg and did that for 6 weeks, then did 2 weeks of 7 mg. The patches were manageable and I was able to function pretty well at work and overall. I would take a lozenge when I would have an intense, bigger craving, and I learned some other coping techniques for when the cravings were not as intense. Finding what coping strategies work for you is a big key.

I am coming up on 10 months completely tobacco free, and I want to say that it wasn't easy. Be prepared to feel all the things you've heard about quitting during the process. The point is that the patch and lozenge made it more bearable when I quit, and the cravings get less intense and a space themselves out in a manageable way as the days go by. I felt good in knowing that I had a plan for the withdrawal process that I could stick to when I had a craving and couldn't focus. It also took time for me to find my own new sense of being a non smoker, and I have no doubt that anyone can find joy in the quitting process especially once the cravings start to diminish (for me it was around 4 weeks quit).

If you happen to lapse (smoke a time or two but get back on track) or relapse (go back to being a regular smoker), it helped me to understand that my attempt could be considered a 'practice quit', and that I was still further on the route to quitting because of trying. I smoked for every reason anyone can think of, and didn't plan on quitting until my body started to reject the cigarettes and I knew I was in a lot of trouble if I continued with it. The fact that you have motivation to quit and are seriously entertaining the idea of using NRT should be considered a great sign. Some folks may never 'find a reason' to quit.  It can be done and it will be done as long as you are able to come up with new ways of coping and finding that new version of you that doesn't smoke anymore, from my experience. The NRT should only help as long as you medically qualify (no skin issues or allergies, that sort of thing).

Lastly, I am not sure how your feelings about the next couple of months might play a role in a quit attempt. I would recommend talking it out with a professional if you're not already doing so and not just going by testimonials on this website to gain some additional insight. 

Thank you for reaching out and I wish you the best!

Matt

elvan

quittin4me‌ GREAT response.  Congratulations on YOUR beautiful quit!

Ellen

0 Kudos
Ralph1955

I started smoking in 1969 at the age of 14. I began my quit process I believe 3 years ago to 'please' everyone. I had 3 failed attempts.  On July 15th of this year I decided to try again but, this time it was because 'I' wanted to quit and not because everyone around me Told me to quit.  That's a Huge difference and it made the journey My journey and not one that had others on it with me.  Eventually I invited others as my support and when I felt the need for their help and input I asked.

I began with the 21mg patches which I used for about 3 weeks then eventually went down to the lower does for a couple of weeks.  Not wanting to use the patch as a crutch I didn't go down to the 3rd set of patches but used all the tools that I read about on this awesome site.  

Did I have days that were hard? Yes.  Did I think maybe to squash the urge I could have 1 cig? Of course.  Did the smoke demon pop up from time to time to trick me into smoking? Hell yeah.  The friends here and at home were my Angels when the demon reared its ugly head and together with their constant support, I never gave in. 

Yesterday was my 4th month and during these months I've seen so many changes in my life.  My skin looks healthy, my tongue is as pink as a baby's, I'm sleeping through the night without waking up from a coughing fit and I have so much energy. My fingers are no longer yellow and others see the differences quitting has done for me.

In another post of mine I wrote about what the effects did to my teeth. Nearly 50 years of smoking caused me to lose my 4 top front teeth and now I have a bridge.  I don't know how long you've been smoking but, take a look at this picture (they are not my teeth but pretty close to what happened to me).

smoking-effects.jpg smoking-effects.jpg

Don't let this happen to you. We are all here to help you and together you will succeed.

Gwenivere

I’m sorry, but graphic images turn me off as a support technique.  I liked your post otherwise and congratulate you for quitting.  

Ralph1955

I understand but if I was told and showed that I probably would have quit Years ago 

anaussiemom

Ralph1955 What else as being a QUIT",  done for you?   ❤️

0 Kudos
Ralph1955

Well I realized that I’m stronger than I thought I was. I find that I have a lot more energy and no longer get winded when I do work around the house. Clients don’t comment that they can smell the cigarettes on my clothes or hands (I’m a hair stylist). The list goes on....

desiree465

Good for you Ralph, I've been reading your blogs, I think your story is a good lesson for all of us. Lung cancer is usually the first thing we think about when we think of reasons to quit but there are soooooo many other reasons. My teeth chip a lot and I'm sure it's because I smoked for so long, I'm hoping that one day I won't have to worry about whether or not my teeth are going to break off while eating. 

Gwenivere

This quitting showed me I was addicted to nicotine.  Something I never thought about.   It was just something I did that I enjoyed.  As public places went non smoking, I adapted easily.  So many bitched and moaned.  I just shrugged it off because I knew I could have one later.  I would spend hours where I volunteer and not even think about it unless there was a break or a resident wanted one so we’d go outside.   I’m always surprised when I find out someone smokes because it’s so frowned upon.  Shaming people,like has been done to me, is cruel.  I had a person tell me I was stupid.  I have neighbors in thier mid 20’s that smoke.  I’ve never said, nor would I, anything about it to them being about 30+ years ahead of them.  If there is any time in history one couldn’t know the dangers, it is now.  Plus the motivation has to come from within.