cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jennifer-Quit

A Welcome Home

My brother-in-law had heart valve replacement surgery around May 1 and has been in the hospital/rehab ever since due to complications.  He gets to go home tomorrow on his 72nd birthday.  We are having a welcome home/birthday dinner for him on Sunday.  His favorite desert is pineapple upside down cake - how the hell did I not know that after all these years.  That is what I am to bring to the party - and I have never made one!  Yikes!  Please share your recipes!   I need help!  gregp136‌ I know you have experience!

37 Replies
gregp136

Betty Crocker is my best friend.  She is always there when I need her, is always just sweet enough, and she has GREAT buns.

I prefer the earlier editions (I  have 4), but sometimes there needs to be needs some minor adjustment due to changes in American's kitchens (this recipe asks to bake it in your 10 inch cast iron skillet.  I use a normal oblong cake pan).  This will also make the cake a touch thinner.  

Ingredients:

2 eggs

2/3 cup suger

1 tsp Vanilla

1 cup flour

1/3 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup (one stick) butter

1 cup brown sugar

Set the oven to 350.

Melt the butter and pour it into the cake pan.  Sprinkle the sugar evenly on top, then place the pineapple slices in a single layer(due to the oblong pan, I always cut a few in half, which works for those in the crowd you ask for a small piece).  I put maraschino cherries in each center, and you can also put pecan halfs in spaces between the slices.  

Then beat two eggs, and beat in the sugar.  Add 6 tablespoons of pineapple juice, and give the rest to TurboRose‌, who needs a little treat.  Also add 1 tsp Vanilla. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together and add to the mixture all at once.  Pour over fruit.  Bake until a toothpick (I use a fork) can be inserted into the center and come out clean.  (30 to 40 min.)  As soon as you take it out, pour it upside down on a serving plate (I use a cookie sheet).  Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.  That allows all the good stuff to leave the pan and stick to the cake.  Serve with real whipped cream, if desired.

How is that?

Greg

TurboRose

Thanks gregp136, that's sweet - Pun intended. LOL

Mandolinrain

These recipes look great, your brother in law will be so thrilled you thought of him, Enjoy your weekend and that cake!

0 Kudos
elvan

Wow, I used to love pineapple upside down cake when my mother made it...actually, I think I loved the cherries most.  I have never made it, can't wait to see pictures, Jennifer!  Welcome home to your brother in law.

0 Kudos
bonniebee

YouTube and Pinterest are my new best friends for recipes ! The ideas and recipes above look great too I am so happy that your brother is coming home God bless him Jennifer and you too !

Jennifer-Quit

Well gregp136‌ I have decided on your recipe in my cast iron skillet.  However I will hold you personally responsible for any damage to my dishwasher or any other appliance due to throwing it across the road -  

See Greg's blog from day 2 - https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/gregp136/blog/2017/03/19/day-two-and-yes-i-am-addicted

YoungAtHeart

You have a cast iron skillet?  I am SOOOOOO jealous!  I bought one a LONG time ago - but never was able to get it seasoned properly.

😞

Jennifer-Quit

How in the heck can you cook without one?  I guess it's a southern/Arkansas/hillbilly thing! 

YoungAtHeart

Probably since I am a "damned Yankee" I never knew how to season it properly.

YoungAtHeart

I remember wiping it down with oil, putting it in the oven 'til hot, getting up on a ladder to shut off the smoke detector, putting more oil on it, putting it back in the oven, climbing the ladder AGAIN, and repeating many more times......(it didn't work)!