cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Beck37

4 days quit and can't remember why?

Smoker for 37 years.... obviously the decision to quit was not made lightly. Along with everything else in my life I had my quit date planned out. Am at my moms house for the holidays. Figured not only would it be the bestest Christmas present for her but everyone always pigs out for the holidays so if I gained weight it would be expected! 

I am 4 days in now and my mind/body kind of feels like a kaleidoscope inside! I am doing this cold turkey cause of course that's how I do things.  Was a HUGE drinker but walked away from that 14 years ago and never looked back. Knew this was going to be the toughest thing I ever did, but don't know if what I am experiencing is normal. I am actually in a pretty good mood. My head feels kind of cloudy and my heart feels like it's going to pound out of my chest. My body aches and I'm trying to remember why I wanted to quit cause is smoking really that bad?????

20 Replies
marciem

Oh how normal, half-way through the first week (has been called HELL week for several reason), to have that ratty nicomonster addiction doing what it can to bring you back into his chains.

I'd suggest that when you are on an upswing of determination (this does go in cycles) that you sit and write your own personal reasons for quitting.  There is a laundry list of practical one-size-fits-all VERY EXCELLENT reasons to quit (improve health, save money, avoid being stinko, lose the pariah stigma, etc) but only YOU know what motivated you at this time.  AND... that can change along the way, also... I mean that why you quit and why you want to stay quit can become totally different lists, so keep up with it  !

That's your homework assignment from me Beck37‌!!

You're doing great!  The only way to avoid going through this again, is to go completely through it now, by not smoking!

maryfreecig

Congratulations on 4! Totally normal!!!  One day at a time, yes you can. Welcome to Ex.

elvan

Congratulations on your great start on this journey.  YES, smoking really IS that bad.  Take if from someone who regrets every puff I ever took during my 47 years of self abuse.  Freedom from this addiction is the best gift I have ever given myself or received from anyone.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your description of feeling like a kaleidoscope inside.  That just might be the best description I have ever heard of those first days.  The thing to remember is that it DOES GET BETTER...the more time and space you put between yourself and those killer cancer sticks...the better you will feel and the more reasons you will be able to list.  

Remember that we all started at the same day one and taking this one day or one step at a time is the only way to make it work.

Best to you and welcome to EX.

Ellen

marciem

elvan wrote:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your description of feeling like a kaleidoscope inside.  That just might be the best description I have ever heard of those first days. 

LOL, elvan‌ ... I love that too.  Another good one that I've borrowed before was "feeling like a squirrel trapped in a coffee can"

Barbscloud

Big welcome to the Ex.   Congrats on 4 day smoke free.  You've off to a great start on you journey.

Barb

Jennifer-Quit

The addicted brain will try all kinds of tricks to get you back but don't fall for it.  Here is my list of reasons - make your own list and read it often if you forget!  Best wishes!

It Just Gets Better and Better!

Linda239

First, congratulations on Day 4!  Believe it or not, the way you feel is normal.  I remember when I first quit and remembering how horrible and hard it seemed.  I came here and read the blogs and I posted blogs.  I remember people on here telling me that it would get better, and I would always appreciate it, but, I still kept asking "When?".  I figured I just hadn't reached that point and kept going.  That inner demon kept calling my name and telling me that it really isn't that bad to smoke.  The demon tries everything trying to get you to come back.  So I cried a bunch but got through those cravings.  You are doing great and just keep going!  I swear, it really does get better.  It is definitely a journey!

elvan

Ah yes, Linda239, the neverending question...WHEN? WHEN? WHEN?  I suspect most of us asked that question with a bit of a shriek in our voices...RIGHT?  Linda is telling you the absolute truth Beck37‌  Come to the site, read, comment, post, repeat...it will get easier very gradually and you might not even notice it as it happens.  Then you will look back and think...WAIT?  I did not think about a cigarette when that happened, I did not think about smoking all day today...all week...you will never regret quitting.

Ellen

indingrl

CONGRATS AND GOOD JOB! 14 YEARS SOBER! WAY TO GO! 4 NON SMOKING DAYS! YAHOOOOO AND WELCOME!

Sootie

To answer your question---is smoking really that bad......YES! But, don't take my word for it................go to whyquit.com and read. I think you will find information theret hat will reinforce what I am sure you knew when you made this decision to quit.

You are doing so well so far......STAY STRONG. It is SO worth it.