cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Kikison08

Cutting down before quit date

Ok, so I have a quit date of 1/24 and I am trying to cut down before that date.  I find that I am actually smoking more, which is crazy.  I am going to do the patch.  Is it better to cut down ahead of time or just smoke like you normally do before that date?

Labels (1)
11 Replies
dsprague

Hi welcome, I myself tapered down, I think it helped some. Sounds like you are getting nervous to quit. The best thing you can do is read this site and what people are saying, education is the biggest key to this quitting and the heartfelt desire to do it. But read, read, I have read here that a writer named Alan Carr I believe did an excellent book, great help.

Sorry I know I spelled his name wrong. But the help and support you can get from this site is priceless. Please use it.

JACKIE1-25-15

Some do and some don't.  The main thing is that you prepare yourself mentally. Smoking is two parts the physical and the phycological. Education is the key to a successful quit. Read, Study, Blog and be willing to do the work.  With the help of the EX Community you can have a forever quit.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine. Know the LAW!  Go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and review the videos and learn more about  your triggers and how to prepare when the urges come.

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

Quitting is a crazy" ride for a bit.  I do the same cut down and smoke ,more.  It is part of the addiction of the brain to bargain, and waver.  When you quit find what works best for you.  The Brain and Addiction are tricky.50773225_623028418150694_6159620252272427008_n.jpg
Knowledge is power.   We" have to do the work to succeed .  IMHO.

Best wishes.

Kim

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex. Use this time to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.   In addition to using some quit aids, I cut down for a week prior to my quit.  I stuck to a strict schedule on how many cigarettes I could have each day until my quit date.  It worked for me, but everyone's journey is unique.  You need to decide what will work for you.  We're here to support you, so just reach out anytime you need encouragement.

Barb

maryfreecig

Some prefer to delay when they would otherwise smoke. It's not better or worse to cut back. But since you are not actually cutting back as you had planned now is a good time to learn more about the addiction, make a strong quit plan, get to know the Ex community. One day at a time you can quit smoking.

elvan

I think either delaying or cutting back are about the same. You CAN do this, one day at a time. I quit cold turkey but l got really sick & the decision was made FOR me. Quit & breathe or smoke & give up breathing. Education is a HUGE part of a successful quit. You can get a great deal of education & support right here on this site.

Welcome to EX. YoungAtHeart‌ has a wonderful welcome message that she generously shares with “newbies”.

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

I tried but was unsuccessful in cutting back before my quit date.  I tried to lower the number smoked to a certain #, reducing that number over time.  I found it just had me thinking about smoking and negotiating with myself ALL the time - like, "if I have an extra one NOW, I can go to bed earlier and make up for it later."  A better idea is to just put each one off a bit while you get busy and get your mind off of it.  You can naturally (and easily) cut down that way.  Doesn't matter if you do or not.  I didn't and quit on my first and only attempt at it 8 1/2 years ago.  Didn't affect my quit at all.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

SusanPerry85

From my own experience, sometimes its a mind thing ... Or the habit of hand to mouth ( I suppose thats why some people bite there nails) or perhaps its keeping something in your mouth ... Like a smoke or gum or hard candy ... Sometimes we put to much thought into it or convince ourselves that we have to do things by a certain day and it tends to add unnecessary stress or pressure ... If it helps any, Maybe when you think about quitting or smoking you can think about the moments you will feel better when you quit or that your close or home won't smell like smoke and you will have more confidence back ... 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome, SusanPerry85 ,

When you are ready, I suggest you write a blog to introduce yourself to the community.  You might include your smoking history, your reasons for wanting to quit, your quit date if you have chosen one, if you plan to use a quit aid, and anything else you care to share.  You do that from "HOME" - top left, then the middle blue box, "Post to My Blog." I look forward to your participation in our community!

Nancy