cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Mikiraelene30

How do I know when I switch patch nicotine levels?

Help please me understand

i been on 14mg nicotine patches for 10 days i think i am getting to much nicotine how do i know when to go down to the 7mg patches without messing up and smoke a cigarette

Labels (1)
8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Just see how you feel with the 7 mg.  If you can't adjust to the lower dose, you can always go back to the 14 and try again later.  When you step down you will usually get a few pangs of withdrawal, so be prepared for it.  Plan the step down for a time there will be less stress in your life, and you can stay busy to distract yourself.

Promise yourself you will come here and blog "HELP" before you go buy cigarettes (I HOPE you didn't keep any around!) and give us time to talk you down off the ledge.

Let us know how it does!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

If you think you are getting too much nicotine then you probably are.  I suggest to step down to the 7 mg which is about the same as 7 cigs.  I believe you will be fine. Usually the timeframe is 4 weeks for each step but you know your body better than anyone else. Try it and see how it works out for you. 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  You didn't say way you think you may be getting too much nicotine.  Are you having side effects?   A pharmacist would be a good resource.  

dsprague

Like barbscloud said check with your doctor also. I have been  on 14 mg for 18 days and thinking about going to 7. I believe that the sooner you can cut back the better, get all the nicotine out of your system. The people here will help anytime just ask, please don’t smoke. N O P E!!

dsprague

The effects of smoking on the body are enormous, I never realized just how much until I started reading, I was amazed. It is going to take time, don’t rush yourself. Do it the correct way, you have come to far. Join us for the pledge every day and see the support you have.

Mikiraelene30

My symptoms were raiped hearbeat, headache , upset stomach and dizziness I talked to my doctor and the pharmacy I am on the 7mg patches before I quiy smoking cigarettes I was just smoking 7 cigarettes a day and smoke only half of a cigarette a time. So it was just to much nicotine for me I feel better now thanks for the support

Barbscloud

Mikiraelene30 That makes sense.  They recommend certain mg. depending on how much you smoke.  7 cigarettes wasn't a lot compared to many of us who smoked pack(s).   Glad you're feeling better now that you stepped down.

Barb

anaussiemom

I would and do follow the guidelines.  Reason being it helps from the relapsing.  You can also choose other options Nico gum, loungers, instead of patches.  Or whatever works for you.

Blessings
KIm