cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

Today's Feasts

Had our first serving of Pesto!!!!  We usually plant much too much Basil.  Planted 3 store bought plants and put in seeds. Basil is really easy to grow from seeds.  But only four plants grew from seeds this time around.  Usually we have an entire 20' row of basil plants.  Much too dry here.  So I'll put in some more seeds.  BUT there were still enough leaves to make our first batch!  It's such an amazing color when it's being processed.  You can also freeze it, I discovered.  And it's a REAL TREAT in the middle of winter, let me tell you!

IMG_8029.JPG

Zucchini is doing fantastic.  Trouble is - Zucchini is so boring to eat!  Sorry dear Zucchini, but I have yet to find a recipe that's mouth watering with you.  Except the Zucchini cake recipe.  And fritter frying the flowers.  That's a taste delight delicacy like no other!

IMG_8028.JPG

The Mesclun lettuce is also doing great.  For you crop gardeners out there, if you want to add some spice to your salads, I highly recommend it.  It's a combo of different spicy greens like from the Cress family, etc.  Really perks up a salad.  

IMG_8024.JPG

Aside from those treats the day lilies are all in bloom here.  This one is truly amazing.  Looks like God took a paintbrush, dipped it in a bit of red and ran his thumb and forefinger across it in a flick to splatter some on the white central part.  I couldn't quite capture it in focus with my 5 pixel camera that's on it's way out but you get the idea.

IMG_7999.JPG

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
80 Replies
Giulia

Well, I experimented with pesto tonight on the zucchini which I boiled for about 2 minutes (after coming to a boil.)  As boring as zucchini ever is.  Diluted the pesto, yetch!  Won't be doing this again.  NOT a taste treat!.  

0 Kudos
Giulia

Hmmmm.  OK.  I'm debating whether to buy it or not.  Not quite sold on it yet.  But I don't think this veggetti is gonna last too long.  And I do REALLY like the saute'ed  version of the zucchini.  What the hey, why not get the bigger version  It's 10 bucks.  That's about equal to one pack of cigarettes in NY, right?

elvan

My youngest daughter, the one in Brooklyn, had decided she was going to buy one so she could substitute for pasta...she recently found out she is allergic to wheat and has tried some wheat free options but not been terribly impressed.  In any event, she was going for her daily walk and a few houses down from where she lives, there was a Veggeti sitting next to the garbage still in a box that had never been opened.  She was very excited.  She finds all kinds of things on her walks...gives a great incentive to get moving.

elvan

Wow. What luck!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Giulia‌.  In reference to the Veggetti,  I purchased one last year after seeing it used to substitute pasta with zucchini on the food network channel.  I enjoyed it, however, I got a medium sized one with several blade cuts which required extra storage space. The one I got out of Walmart only cost 14$. After using it, I felt I should have invested in something of better quality long-term use small appliance that can do more than noodles.  I also used it to make noodles from sweet potatoes just for the novelty.  I still haven't figured what to do with the leftovers.  The leftover zucchini noodles become too wet for me. When WW went to zero points I could afford to eat real pasta. So the Veggetti is now stored in a basket under the counter shelf.  I was going to use it on the zucchini from the garden but did not feel like pulling the Veggetti out so the zucchini ended up in a cake.  I would research more to see what other appliance does the noodles along with other things.  Now that I think about it, why bother?  You are not a cook.  Get the small one and throw it in a draw. lol

0 Kudos

JACKIE1-25-15

I have been putting the uncooked zucchini noodle on my sandwiches. It’s really good. You don’t really taste it but give a nice crunch. For the sweet potatoes, do you use it like spaghetti? 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

No, I steam them or sautee them with spam or olive oil and season with cinnamon. 

0 Kudos

That sounds good. I’m going to try sweet potatoe fries.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I have an air fryer that I do sweet potato fries.  I do lightly coat them with just a little bit of olive oil. They are EXcellent on the grill. 

I’m going to try to bake them.  I don’t have a fryer and no grills allowed at my apartment

0 Kudos