cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

Today's Feasts

Had our first serving of Pesto!!!!  We usually plant much too much Basil.  Planted 3 store bought plants and put in seeds. Basil is really easy to grow from seeds.  But only four plants grew from seeds this time around.  Usually we have an entire 20' row of basil plants.  Much too dry here.  So I'll put in some more seeds.  BUT there were still enough leaves to make our first batch!  It's such an amazing color when it's being processed.  You can also freeze it, I discovered.  And it's a REAL TREAT in the middle of winter, let me tell you!

IMG_8029.JPG

Zucchini is doing fantastic.  Trouble is - Zucchini is so boring to eat!  Sorry dear Zucchini, but I have yet to find a recipe that's mouth watering with you.  Except the Zucchini cake recipe.  And fritter frying the flowers.  That's a taste delight delicacy like no other!

IMG_8028.JPG

The Mesclun lettuce is also doing great.  For you crop gardeners out there, if you want to add some spice to your salads, I highly recommend it.  It's a combo of different spicy greens like from the Cress family, etc.  Really perks up a salad.  

IMG_8024.JPG

Aside from those treats the day lilies are all in bloom here.  This one is truly amazing.  Looks like God took a paintbrush, dipped it in a bit of red and ran his thumb and forefinger across it in a flick to splatter some on the white central part.  I couldn't quite capture it in focus with my 5 pixel camera that's on it's way out but you get the idea.

IMG_7999.JPG

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
80 Replies
Mandolinrain

I have been thinking about getting a air fryer. What brand do you have? Do they use any oil ?

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I have a small off-brand by (Dash). Got it out of Sam's club for 39.99.   Wish I had gotten a larger one. but I may get a larger one later.  You do not have to use oil.  It depends on your preference.  For items that are already oily, I do not add oil. e.i wings. The oil is extracted and drained to the bottom container.  I If something is going to be dry I may spray or very lightly coat w/ oil. e.i tenders.  It takes a little experimenting which way to go.  For fries, I do not add oil. really am enjoying it. Love my wings. 

Mandolinrain

That so cool....I am going to get one, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions  We have a busy weekend here with loads of company...wish I had one now...but I will for next round of guests

0 Kudos
Giulia

Wasn't today's feast, but a day or two ago.  (The image is actually sideways, but - does it matter?  It's amazing in any direction!)  I bought this hibiscus several years ago and it's just awesome.  I don't know how it winters over here in middle TN, but thankfully it does.  But boy do the Japanese beetles feast upon it.  Caught this bloom before they did.  This kind of glory always reminds me of God in It's infinite creativity and eye for design!

IMG_8074.JPG

Meanwhile the tomatoes are commin' on strong and the cukes beginning to do so.  We're starting to give them away.  Wish you all lived nearby so I could hand them out to you.  Made our second batch of gazpacho.  OMG it's like nectar from the Gods.  Made a double batch tonight as we scarfed up the first in two days, being stingy with our portions.  

Anybody here ever frozen gazpacho?  Tips, tricks, does it work?  I know you can freeze pesto, but never tried gazpacho.

BTW made 'my' chocolate zucchini cake two nights ago.  Haven't done so in years.  Jackie spurred  me on because she made it.  Wow is it labor intensive.  But boy is it good.  And you can pretend it's really good FOR you, because - well, after all it does have two cups of zucchini in it!  lol  And it's not horribly sweet, just a hint of sweet.  Although the powdered sugar topping dissolved overnight, so it was left pretty barren looking on top.  Still mighty tasty!

Mandolinrain

I have that recipe for your cake and I plan on making it next weekend when company comes in!

Our tomatoes are abundant but all green. Lettuce kale, cucumbers and square doing great as are all the herbs....well cucumbers have given us a few but loaded with yellow blooms. Peppers are small this year...

I LOVE GAZPACHO...I did try to freeze it once but didn't taste great. I put lots of cilantro in mine and I think that what didn't freeze so well?

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Well Giulia‌ please share your Gazpacho recipe!  Do you still have too many zucchini?  I saw at the farm stand today jars of "Sweet Zucchini Relish" That might be something to google and research - really looked delish!

shashort

Okay maybe I have lived a sheltered life but what are cukes and Gazpacho?  But I do knowwhat zuchinni cake is and yummy lol

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

A cuke is a cucumber.  Gazpacho is a cold soup made with tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, etc.  

Giulia

Cuke = cucumber.  It's ok, you can come out of your cave now.  lol

Gazpacho is an Andalusian cold soup (southern Spain) - TO DIE FOR!  comprised of cukes (ahem), tomatoes, green peppers, etc.  I just put the recipe up in the Cooking Quitters group.