Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lois2

Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight

i have times i can not stop eating. HELP
0 Kudos
1,708 Replies
Carenda

According to Dr, Ian, The 50 Million Pound Challenge, we need to add Fiber‏ to our diets.

Increase your consumption of fiber-rich foods (fruits, vegetables, and whole grains). These foods tend to be low in fat and calories. Fiber adds bulk to your diet, making you feel fuller faster and longer. The good thing about fiber is that it can't be digested, so it doesn't add any calories to your diet. High-fiber diets may also help reduce cancer risk and lower your risk of heart disease.

Foods high in fiber include pears and apples with skin, strawberries, oranges, Brussels sprouts, lentils, beans, bran cereals, oatmeal, and peanuts. Be intentional and rotate these foods into your diet, and use some of them for snacks throughout the day. These are the choices that will make a significant difference as you work for results
0 Kudos
Carenda

I tried Atkins some years ago and it raised my chloesterl partly because of all the meat I consumed. I buy yogurt and add Special K with red berries to it. That's a good idea to sweetened your own with Splenda.
0 Kudos
cindy-mc

Carenda, you are spot on with fiber...but some words of caution.

When you start increasing your fiber, your digestive system will need to get used to it. You may experience some extra gas...you know what I mean. Once your body gets used to extra fiber, you won't have that problem. Also, if you have problems "going", extra fiber really, really helps. Um, also, you may not want to start your fiber journey with Fiber One bars (they have tons of fiber) - those things will really gas you up. If you like oatmeal, try Quaker Oats Instant Oatmeal with extra fiber. I get the brown sugar flavor. I mix a serving of frozen blueberries (antioxidants!), oatmeal and Activia low-fat vanilla yogurt. To me, it tastes like a dessert! That breakfast sticks with me until lunch. Plus, my digestive system is getting a good boost!
0 Kudos
Carenda

Thanks Cindy, I was thinking of an increase in fresh fruits. I am a stickler in taste and probably would find the fiber bars disguting, I like apples,pears and strawberries.
0 Kudos
amy20

Great ideas and recipes! I dug out my old Weight Watchers info and started counting points this morning! Gained yet another pound and can't take it no more! I have been quit for 5 months now and have to get serious about the weight gain! Wish me luck!
  Happy Monday 😉
0 Kudos
Carenda

Amy, we are all in this together. We will send in any tips and recipes to help us with our weight gain.
0 Kudos
lois2

Good luck Amy on the weight lost. i would like to lose 20 lbs. i think i am lazy since i quit. got to make my self get back on the treadmill. 4 days have not been on it.
0 Kudos
Carenda

I have been lazy also, I have to get back on the Treadmill. I was doing fair last month but it has now gone down hill.
0 Kudos
lana3

I have been trying to do a little better with my eating. I have not felt well since about March, always felt like I had a nervous stomach. After my last tests I found out I have an ulcer. I thought it was lack of nicotine and all in my head. I am glad I went back to the Dr. and am now on the mend.
0 Kudos
amy20

Thanks for the all the good luck shout outs guys! You are a great bunch!
  I generally eat pretty healthy, just too much and I eat junk too (love it all, unfortunately)! I have had a free for all since I quit because I didn't want to restrict myself and start smoking again...gained 22 lbs in 5 months!
  I will give myself credit for keeping up on my excercise...walk at least 4 days a week and bike ride with the kids frequently. I really pushed myself to stay active, figured if I was over eating the least I could do is walk!
  I'm not big on recipes (but, if ya find a good one, I'd love to see it!) I just make sure I eat lean meats, lots of veggies and little starch. Eating out has been one of my biggest enemies this summer! Busy and not wanting to waste time in the kitchen...ever hear a kid say no to McDonalds or pizza??? Back to grilled chicken, veggies and baked potatoes!
  Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
  Smoke free 1st, the rest can wait til you are strong in your quit!
0 Kudos