cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underscore help please

As some of you may have already figured out, I am a bit daft when it comes to computers,lol. I try not to spend to much time on them but anyway......

I am experiencing an UNDERSCORE  problem. I need the EASY explanation how to do an @mention with a username that has an underscore in it. It never works for me and frankly I wish they were not even permitted for a username.

Anyone out there who can help me????

I would be forever grateful.

Missy_   

Tags (1)
44 Replies

Dear it has nothing to do with computer skills - a flaw in the system.  Do you use Windows 10?

Thanks, I have a macbook air I do the freedom train from

0 Kudos

Mandolinrain

I'm guessing you have Safari as your browser unless you have installed Firefox or Chrome browser. I'll find a Mac and test it out.  I'd recommend installing Chrome. It's a better browser.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

I do have chrome. I just never tried to do Ex from it, but will give it a go tomorrow, Thank you

0 Kudos

Mandolinrain

If we had known that it was going to be an issue when we migrated, we wouldn't have allowed underscore to be an option. Unfortunately we found out after the fact. Then it was supposed to be fixed in a couple months by Jive. Unfortunately a series of perfect storms happened and it got pushed down the line.  Coupled by other planned updates to the non-community portion of the site we chose to wait it out. I have offered as Jennifer-Quit‌ mentioned to fix anyone's profile on a case by case scenario(It takes me 7 or so steps) for anyone who wanted their username to be updated.  It's not unfortunately as simple as changing it and notifying everyone. There is a whole lot of work to make that simple change to ensure it works smoothly. Given that there are several workarounds that help it to work we're waiting til the fix comes from Jive.

Who is the person you're trying to mention? There are a couple people that have underscores that I have tried to mention and have been successful. Perhaps I can help you solve it directly or maybe they're willing to update their username.  

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

Thanks Mark. It was on the freedom train the morning, I was trying to put Storms username on the train

I didn't realize all the steps it takes to do that. Sorry

0 Kudos

Mandolinrain wrote:

Thanks Mark. It was on the freedom train the morning, I was trying to put Storms username on the train

I didn't realize all the steps it takes to do that. Sorry

Thanks. I'll check out Storm.3.1.14 .  Please try copying and pasting https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/Storm_3.1.14  .

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

I still have a problem with some mentions but it's on me trying to type too fast  I hope Storm saw my congrats to him last night on the Freedom Train Storm_3.1.14 since it'll only @ places and he has to be on site to see it at least I think that's right, I still have a problem copying and pasting here on this site but have finally figured out how to do it on FB   I'm not very tech savvy but at least I'm here.  thanks Jennifer-Quit

0 Kudos

MarilynH

What if you Right Click on a person's username link and choose the option for Copy Link address (this if for Chrome... Firefox, Safari, Edge might have slightly different wording) and then paste it into your reply. Should work for mentioning anyone on the site.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

I tried and tried and tried yesterday - with no luck.  It seems to be working from my work computer today.  Find their user name and  highlight it - right click -then select "copy link address"  Go to where you want to mention them and click control "v" to paste it.  

It does work from my work computer but never from my home computer - not sure why.  I use Windows 10 at home - but an earlier version at work.  That might be the difference.  This is a good question for Mark

You would think that after almost 1-1/2 years it would be fixed!