cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read a member curated list of EX Community content over 10+ years

Where Does It Come From?

A ZERO STRESS Way To Begin A Quit.

hands.jpg

I was asked if I would quit to influence my friends brother. He actually tried to get me to commit right there on the spot. He knew if I did, I would follow through. I'm like you. I don't like to be cornered into doing anything I have not spent some time thinking about.

When he saw he couldn't FORCE ME to say yes, he softened his tone and asked me if I would consider it. I agreed.

I really considered how I could begin and I figured out a way to test myself for the challenge of a forever quit without stressing myself out.

I never told him what I was doing and he never asked, or, if he did I probably told him I was still thinking about it.

What I was doing was so powerful, YET, SO SIMPLE!

I was just telling myself to "wait a little longer" when I thought of smoking.

Don't read anything painful or tortuous into that because there was none of either.

What do you think happened by my telling myself to wait a little longer.

I smoked less.

If you delay smoking when you think of it with a simple phrase. "I'm just going to wait a little longer." (sounds a bit like "I don't do that anymore," doesn't it?")

there is No pressure, No pain and you are smoking less. YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO SET A DATE UNTIL YOU ARE READY!

After 4 weeks I was smoking 5 a day (down from 20) and the only ways I knew were because I wasn't going to the store as much and, I actually had money in my wallet.

I was now thinking clearly and I was off automatic pilot.

On the Friday of the fourth week I went to the corner store, which by now was the only place I could find my brand. I had not planned anything but, as I pulled the money out of my wallet and put it on the counter I knew it was my last pack. I told the store owner I was done. His mouth dropped.

I lived in the neighborhood for two more years and never went to that store again.

I never craved a cigarette once in those 4 weeks because, I smoked whenever I wanted.

The next Monday was New Years Day so I decided to quit on Tuesday. No broken resolutions for me.

In those 4 weeks I had proven to myself I didn't need to smoke because I thought I did.

I think the counting becomes frustration, the denial and setting a date would have been counterproductive for me. When all you are doing is focusing on  smoking and trying to figure out something you have no idea how you will react to until you do it it becomes frustrating. I was learning and had absolutely no misgivings or doubt.

I feel anyone could begin a quit in this way. The only variable is the time it takes each person. You don't have to take 4 weeks, you could take 6, or 3.

However you do it, it has to come from you.

choose.png

Tags (1)
29 Replies
bonniebee

Thank You Dale ! 

Michwoman

Love this post Dale! 

freeneasy

I can see how planning and setting a date could be counter productive. I set a quit date of Jan 3 but smoked 2 and then I smoked 2 again on Jan 4 and then 3 on Jan 5 and I nearly talked myself into giving up but a friend encouraged me to keep it up so I put on a patch and that was that. Also, I was having pain from surgery and sick and smoking seemed to aggravate the discomfort. I think I signed onto this site about a week later and if I didn't find it there was a good chance that I would have given in and smoked.

dwwms

Very inspirational, Dale! There are many different ways to quit, I actually quit that way once and found it a very easy way. I have to admit though, I kind of cheated. There use to be an electronic device that told you when you could smoke and slowly weaned you off - I don't think it's available anymore. After I'd quit completely, it lasted 6 months (one of my longest attempts), can't really remember why I started back - could be that way back then you could smoke anywhere (including at work).

I had cut down some before this quit - was smoking about 15 per day, over the last 3 weeks before my quit, I was down to 8-10 a day. It really made me aware just how often I really didn't want to smoke, I just did.

Right on with the last line -

However you do it, it has to come from you.

Doug

xjamarkx

I really like that. Maybe instead of "just one won't hurt", let myself say to that "I'll wait a little longer". That helps me a lot. 🙂

after you've quit you say "I don't do that anymore" every time you think of smoking. It will retrain your brain in a week.

xjamarkx

AHH Very helpful! This stuff I've got to write down! Such great things to remember. My date is set for August 6th... it's coming up! I'm excited. A love/hate thing going on in my mind. But I can do it. I love reading the things you have to say. You're full of wisdom on quitting smoking. 🙂

anaussiemom

Wow that's awesome! Very encouraging, and helpful.

This is my second time on this website in the last week. I found this post through a link provided through a reply to someone who was smoking 3 a day while doing taxes. I relapsed a month ago and tapering by count. One of my accountability partners questioned me today about this wisdom of setting out a daily limit of cigarettes as I taper to my quit datell of April 15th. Yes, I have used the thend method mentioned here of just putting off the next smoke and it does work to reduce my daily total. I like the explanation regarding how long until you actually quit. The answer being who knows? Everyone is different. Sorry I'm pretty rambling today.

elvan

strokeinthefam  I strongly suggest that you come to the site at LEAST twice a day in the beginning of your quit, read blogs, comment when you want to, see what works for other people...Dale's method is great, I prepared for my quit by tracking my cigarettes and identifying my triggers...rating them on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most powerful.  Just tracking my cigarettes automatically cut back on how many I smoked. I did not do the cutting back thing because I didn't have a chance.  I got seriously ill and HAD to quit and I knew that I could never smoke again, it seriously is no longer an option for me.  I figured out my triggers and what smoking was doing to HELP me and the answer was NOTHING...it was not helping, but it sure was hurting me.  It was destroying my lungs...sometimes quietly and sometimes NOT so quietly but I was really good at denial.  I am SO glad to be free from smoking, it really is a journey, one day at a time.

Ellen