cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read a member curated list of EX Community content over 10+ years

Common Sense

How is it that a whole Community of the most diverse and inclusive folks have so much in common? Some of us are beach lovers, others are land lovers. I live at the foothills of the Rockies, others live in every single state and many countries. We come in red, yellow, brown, black and white hues. We are young and old and everything in between. And some of us smoked for decades while others smoked for a few years. Some prefer to quit with NRTs, others use pharmaceuticals, or smart turkey and even cold turkey. Some of us are perfectly healthy while way too many of us suffer from a variety of smoking related illnesses and/or severe chronic pain that challenges us to stay active while quitting.

Addiction resides in the whole spectrum of people but addiction itself is very mundane and the good news is it's predictable. Recovery may seem as unique as the individual who's quitting, yet we have more in common than we have differences. 

Nicotine addiction is relentless, it's compelling, it's overwhelming. Nicotine actually disturbs our minds the minute we even consider quitting! It hides among feelings and thoughts of stress, anxiety, pain both emotional and physical, and our deepest desire - to fit in. 

What Nicotine can't control - as much as it tries - is the decision-making - the ability to make a choice. It's in that space that we all have our best tool to set Nicotine aside forever and re-cover our natural born feelings and thoughts. Like Dorothy we may feel trapped in the world of smoking addiction while we have had the key for transition into freedom all along!

Nicotine will bombard our thoughts and feelings with such compelling ideas about how we need nicotine when in fact, we need freedom from nicotine. 9 years ago I was taught a valuable counter-thought: I have the right, the ability, and the desire to make a decision to recover from nicotine. I can make the decision right now to not smoke under any circumstances no matter what. Once I have pledged to myself to not smoke I will use my Self-respect, my Self-Value, my Moral Reckoning to honor this decision in this moment, on this day. I will cross the bridge of tomorrow when it gets here.

I will ask myself what I would like to choose to do instead and in so doing, I formulate my own unique addiction free New Self - with my own feelings and thoughts that were blocked by nicotine. We often express this overwhelming sense of intense emotions, intense smells, intense relationship issues as we re - claim our individual uniqueness. It takes time. We didn't set out to become addicts but we are responsible for our way out of it. And the people around us want this for us, too. They will have to make adjustments right along with us and they do so willingly - knowing that our health (in every meaning of this word) is precious. 

Folks often ask what magic elixir we used to become an EX. We all chose many tools - none more important than our decision to do whatever it takes to break FREE! The word of the day is Choice. You get to decide who you want to be and become. People wonder about how long it will take to feel "normal" again. It's those daily choices we make that determine whether it's a matter of weeks, months or years. I personally have never found a static "normal." I got used to my own malleability and embraced the ever changing Thomas as "normal." 

When you are struggling with your thoughts and feelings, come here and read. You will find folks very different who have the very words of encouragement and support that will boost you in the rightness of your choice. I always said that common sense cannot exist if it isn't in common. Recovery from Nicotine is our common path. Having broken through addiction we carry the sense until you can discover it for yourself.

Live

Long

And

Prosper!

Tags (1)
11 Replies
indingrl

Hey hellloooo - so good to read a blog from YOU MY beloved brother Thomas - YOU are so filled with empathy and knowledge and wisdom and unconditional love - YOU are correct  -  it will always be - EACH individuals. - CHOICE -  FREE WILL CHOICE - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you - HOORAY FOR JESUS - it is MY prayer - unceasingly in thanksgiving and praise for God's FREE gift of salvation to ALL -  to learn and grow in HIS love as WE pass on HIS love to ALL those WE meet to HOPE and believe - IF you choose to STAY NICOTINE FREE - so will I - in UNITY - to live this DAY only by MY ACTION - to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER - to come everyday here to HELP the next suifering NICOTINE addict - just like I was HELPED- Yahoooooooooo - freely given - gentle hug ❤

Mandolinrain

This blog should be a featured blog! Excellent Thomas! Love every word and the way you addressed everything!

Bravo!!!!

Sootie

Agree!

Ktraskal

Beautifully written. So true of this Nicotine free journey. Words like the above help me to continue on. NOPE. 

Kathie

elvan

I agree with Mandolinrain‌, this blog is a standout and should offer encouragement and hope to every person on this journey.  Congratulations on 7 years PLUS and thank you so much for offering your hand to all those following you.

Hugs,

Ellen

sweetplt

Thomas this post is amazing...Thank you...it is all in making a choice...not rocket science...huh? You are so encouraging and intuitive on this subject...We are lucky to have your help...Happy Wednesday Thomas3.20.2010 

~ Colleen 219 DOF 

Not rocket science but not easy! If it were easy I suspect we all would have quit much sooner! That's why we are here - offering a hand to the next sufferer of Nicotine Addiction each in our own way.

Strudel

Wonderful Thomas - thank you so much! 

Giulia

Oh yes, definitely needs to be featured.  Mark  Too many amazing points to underline.  Thank you, Thomas.