cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read a member curated list of EX Community content over 10+ years

Where Does It Come From?

A ZERO STRESS Way To Begin A Quit.

hands.jpg

I was asked if I would quit to influence my friends brother. He actually tried to get me to commit right there on the spot. He knew if I did, I would follow through. I'm like you. I don't like to be cornered into doing anything I have not spent some time thinking about.

When he saw he couldn't FORCE ME to say yes, he softened his tone and asked me if I would consider it. I agreed.

I really considered how I could begin and I figured out a way to test myself for the challenge of a forever quit without stressing myself out.

I never told him what I was doing and he never asked, or, if he did I probably told him I was still thinking about it.

What I was doing was so powerful, YET, SO SIMPLE!

I was just telling myself to "wait a little longer" when I thought of smoking.

Don't read anything painful or tortuous into that because there was none of either.

What do you think happened by my telling myself to wait a little longer.

I smoked less.

If you delay smoking when you think of it with a simple phrase. "I'm just going to wait a little longer." (sounds a bit like "I don't do that anymore," doesn't it?")

there is No pressure, No pain and you are smoking less. YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO SET A DATE UNTIL YOU ARE READY!

After 4 weeks I was smoking 5 a day (down from 20) and the only ways I knew were because I wasn't going to the store as much and, I actually had money in my wallet.

I was now thinking clearly and I was off automatic pilot.

On the Friday of the fourth week I went to the corner store, which by now was the only place I could find my brand. I had not planned anything but, as I pulled the money out of my wallet and put it on the counter I knew it was my last pack. I told the store owner I was done. His mouth dropped.

I lived in the neighborhood for two more years and never went to that store again.

I never craved a cigarette once in those 4 weeks because, I smoked whenever I wanted.

The next Monday was New Years Day so I decided to quit on Tuesday. No broken resolutions for me.

In those 4 weeks I had proven to myself I didn't need to smoke because I thought I did.

I think the counting becomes frustration, the denial and setting a date would have been counterproductive for me. When all you are doing is focusing on  smoking and trying to figure out something you have no idea how you will react to until you do it it becomes frustrating. I was learning and had absolutely no misgivings or doubt.

I feel anyone could begin a quit in this way. The only variable is the time it takes each person. You don't have to take 4 weeks, you could take 6, or 3.

However you do it, it has to come from you.

choose.png

Tags (1)
29 Replies

Thank you for your candor. Your health sounds like my husband's situation. He quit in 2010 for the same reason as you. So glad to be alive even with 9 to 11% lung function. As to your situation if you are not in ongoing respiratory rehab you should be, it improves your quality and length of life in a dramatic fashion over time. If you want info ask me or your Dr. I hate everything about smoking. I love not smoking. The habit part is ongoing, unchangeable stress interwoven with smoking. I can' change my circumstances but I can change how I take care of myself and quitting smoking would take a load off my shoulders. Thank you for your feedback AND this is my second time on the website today! Talk da!!!!

elvan

I went through pulmonary rehabilitation and I follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly, I do everything that they told me to do, I had the upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed because the emphysema was so bad that I was trapping air in them.  I do not have to be on oxygen 24/7 because of how hard I work at keeping myself in shape.  Our local hospital has a very small pulmonary rehab unit, my husband is using it now for cardiac rehab.  HE is struggling, he has a terrible time doing the exercises because he has never done regular exercise.  I have regularly worked out for most of my life and it has probably kept the COPD as well as my joint issues from progressing as fast as they otherwise would have.  

Glad to see you here again today!  Like you, I hated everything about smoking...EVERYTHING but the addiction had a hold on me that was just not about to let go easily.

Ellen

I realized it was time after those four weeks but this is much less stressful because it's not a lot of work. It's more just about thinking before you smoke and the rest happens automatically if you've seriously considered quitting.

Thank you.

NVT

Thank you! This was a bit refreshing for some reason. I will read it many times throughout my journey. 

I like your plan. I’m glad you all are finding what works. I am trying different things but just having this community is helping me get closer to quitting.

JuniorBoyy87

Really enjoyed the post!

I'm glad it struck a chord for you

indingrl

WAIT until.........

SuzyQ411

I have to agree that "it has to come from you", Dale JonesCarpeDiem‌.. at least in my case, it depended on that. I have a long checkered quit history; I was always trying to quit for others: kids, husband, other family members, doctors, friends-~ and I always went back to cigarettes,, more often than not on the same day that I "quit." But when I found that both my carotid arteries going to my brain were clogged in varying degrees and that I was a prime candidate for a sroke, I took a differenct stance: I chose to quit for me! And that made the greatest difference, Allthough I did relapse 4 months after my first quit in 2019, I got back on the quit wagon in two weeks' time and am now over 8.5 months totally quit. In other words, this quit is FOR ME!