cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read a member curated list of EX Community content over 10+ years

pir8fan

Lifelines! The Keys to a Successful Quit!!

There are a lot of new people here, and this is also a reminder for those who may have forgotten! Always remember your lifelines!

If you should have a serious craving use all of your lifelines before you smoke!

#1. Ask The Audience! Come here and tell us that you are in danger, and why! Wait 15 minutes for us to respond! Give us that opportunity to help you! That is why we are here!

#2. Phone A Friend! Befriend someone here that you feel you can trust! EXchange phone numbers with that person! If you are in a situation that you can not handle on your own, call or tEXt that person!

#3. 50/50! Make two list! The first list should be all the reasons you should not smoke! The second list should be all the reasons you should smoke! Now take the second list and mark out all of the "EXcuses" to smoke! EXcuses and reasons are two very different things! If there is anything left on the second list let me know!Keep your first list handy. Read it, if any of the "EXcuses" try to steal your quit!

This message was brought to by: The Freedom Train! "IF YOU ARE NOT RIDING WITH US, YOU ARE MISSING THE TRAIN"                  Tommy

Tags (1)
121 Replies
CleanBee

Thank you!

0 Kudos
CleanBee

Im new here and don’t know how to navigate the site yet. 

elvan

CleanBee‌ I suggest you go to the HOME page and look at blogs...you can follow people and then you will be notified if they post. I do not know all of the bells and whistles of the site but I read blogs and comment and sometimes write blogs (not very often though). You can click on a person's avatar and read their introduction to the site and also read their older blogs or activity.  If you are just starting a quit, the best thing you can do is to get educated about this addiction, it IS an addiction...you can read Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" which is available to purchase on line for a very small price or you can probably get it  from your local library. I suggest you make a plan...here is a link to a way to start from the site My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX , I suggest that you read JonesCarpeDiem‌'s blog from some time ago, I read it many times when I started.../blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months  I also found YoungAtHeart‌'s blog very helpful along with the comments...For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too)   You can read old blogs in the Best of EX...https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/content?filterID=all~tag%5Bbest_of_ex%5D   Remember that quitting is not an event, it is a journey...kind of like learning to navigate this site.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

Giulia

CleanBee Howdy.  You asked a question back on June 8th and got several answers.  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/18292-anybody-know-how-to-clean-tar-out-of-lungs   Did you see those answers?  I'm guessing you may not have as you didn't respond to any of them.  I suspect you're coming to this site from a phone, maybe, since you used a # tag?  It works better (and differently from a computer).  You can set up notifications to specify what you want to be notified about (from whatever platform you're connecting with).  

What is it about navigating the site that is confusing to you?  How can we help you get around the place?  The more specific you can be, the better we will be able to assist.  Looks like you set a quit date July 9th.  That would mean you've got 5 days under you belt?    

laqbana55

Hi everyone its day 19 for me and I'm having a kickass craving right now with the extra added bonus of a massive headache. I'm not going to smoke no matter what, which is why I'm posting here instead! 

0 Kudos
Giulia

Have you tried this technique:  Craving Buster Technique‌?  Also some deep, slow breathing might help the headache.  

Breathing ball and chain.gif

And one other thing for the headache, sit quietly in a chair an focus on your hands.  Imagine them getting warmer and warmer and warm.  Do that for five minute.  That's a technique that my aunt use to use and it helped her a great deal.

19 Days is GREAT.  You hang in there!

IrishRose

Glad you came here instead.  How are you doing now?  Do you know anything about sparrows.  I posted this blog "FOR THE BIRDS" , and I really could use some help figuring out what the story is on those guys.

Giulia‌ , I have not heard your opinion about the sparrows.  What say you?

0 Kudos
IrishRose

Love this.  It is hypnotizing. 

0 Kudos
Cameree

I enjoyed reading your post on things to do and I will try them

Cameree

I wish it will hurry and get right with me I'm having a rough time at this moment 

0 Kudos