And a few of my experiences and words of support for the newbies:
- quitting is not by far as difficult as you think it would before you actually quit
- your mind is the one responsible for the quality of the quit: it can make it a breeze, or one of the more dreaded experiences of your life; talk yourself into how easy it is and it will be just that
- educate yourself about the addiction to nicotine, and the psychological dependency on smoking; it might make the difference between sticking with the right decision, or falling back in the old patterns and bringing back a whole array of negative feelings of self-worth, making it more difficult every time to quit again
- life is full of challenges for all of us, smokers or EX smokers; having a cigarette does not make it any easier to work through life challenges, it just makes it more expensive
- the thought of smoking never really goes away; it comes back regularly, but it is just a thought not a command to action; it is up to you to recognize it as such, and take another action/activity instead and let the thought of smoking fade away
- and for those who have not quit yet, please do it, counting the days of freedom in its own is such a beautiful present you can give yourself every day
Thank you to this community for nudging me along the way, I would not be here today, if not for you all!