cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

llehrer222

Im halfway done readin Allen Carr's book.My quit day is this Thursday at 5:00. What can you say to me that willhelp me stick to this set time. I have been doung my homework and I want to Feel ready.

Ready or not I have to quit.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

When you have that "want one!" thought, turn it into: "Since I don't DO that anymore, what shall I do instead to distract myself until this crave passes?"  Then DO it!

Keep reading, and start putting each one you want off just a little.  Prove to yourself that you don't have to smoke just because you want to.  Think about what's going on when you light up - and make plans what ELSE you could do when you quit.

Most of this thing is a mind game - and you can WIN it!

Nancy

llehrer222

Thanks for advice. Im loving reading "Easy WAY".

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Congratulations on making the best decision of your life!  Check out this link:

100 Things to Do Beside Smoke

0 Kudos

After a very short while, Quitters don't regret quitting but 70% of smokers do want to Quit!

Taking that first step to freedom is always hard. You have to know that you're going to take that first step that can change the rest of your life! There can be no doubt in your mind. We'll be here with you. Think of the wonderful things you're doing for your freedom and forget the rest! We're here to help you if you need it. Believe in yourself and you'll be fine!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos
Giulia

"What can you say to me that will help me stick to this set time."

What are you saying to YOURSELF to make you stick to it this time?  To quit you have to change behavior.  You change behavior by changing your attitude.  You change your attitude by introducing new thoughts and reinforcing them.  Many of the successful quitters here spent a goodly amount of time prior to their quits and following their quits reading constantly. That's the reinforcement part.  When I quit the last time I put up pieces of paper around my place with positive words on them.  Like:  "YES, YOU CAN!"  "ATTITUDE STUPID!"  "WHAT AM I TO LEARN TODAY?"  You, of course, find your own words to boost you on.  

Remember that quitting is not an event, it's journey.  And because it's a journey we not only need to continue educating ourselves, but we need to constantly stay AWARE and agree to the changes that take place.  It helped me to think of quitting as a rite of passage.  In many tribes you have to go through physical challenges to be afforded "adult" status.  In our case it could be going through the gauntlet of cravings to get to the other side where "freedom" is experienced.

Think about what words YOU need to say to yourself to make this quit stick.  Not the old ones that didn't work.  New ones that do.  They can't be simply intellectual "words."  They have to be words that make an emotional connection within you.  Addiction isn't about intellect, it's about the emotional connection to the behavior we so desperately want to end.  And to overcome it we need to delve deeply into ourselves.  That's part of the necessary homework too.

Daniela2016

"I have been doung my homework and I want to Feel ready." All you have to do is BE READY.  If you really WANT IT badly, you can do it.  It is all in your mind set: see yourself with your minds' eyes as an EX; imagine how many people will be happy for you, other will be jealous, but you will be happy and proud of yourself. 

Be here often, talk to us, we will do our best to support you on your journey, the same as we were all supported when we first started.

Fergiebarber

Breath, breath deep, at the end of my smoking I could'nt do it without coffing. 15 days of freedom and I can already breathe better. Your worth it too. Give your body the gift of being smoke free. Haven't met anyone who regrets quitting.

0 Kudos