cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

My Mom

She's smoked since she was 14 years old. She chained smoked as much as 4 packs a day. She smoked during all three of her pregnancies, even during labor on a gurney in the hospital hall.

She tried to quit during Lent last year. Did pretty well, especially when a new sin-tax pushed the cost per pack beyond her pay grade. But she's picked it back up again, no thanks to her friends who smoke.

I hope this new program will help.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jackie7620

Please do not blame it on her friends. I smoked since I was 13 or 14 and then quit for for years and went back a month ago. I could so easyly blame it on my friends and family but all in all it was My hand who started the truck, my hands drove to the store bought a pack of ciggeretts and my hand that stuck the lighter, it was my hand that lifted it to my lips, and my lungs that screamed in pain from that frist dragged.

I know how your mother is feling right now, and I bet she needs your support
0 Kudos
jolene

Although we can't blame our friends when we start smoking again, it IS important to avoid triggers, and sometimes the ones we love can be strong triggers. Your mother needs to reflect on how/why she started to smoke again, and learn for the next time she tries. Sometimes that means avoiding being around a lot of smokers. For me, it helps to be with my smoking friends in a non-smoking place. They can go outside and have their cigarettes while I stay put. Focus on how badly you feel for those who are still addicted to nicotine instead of envying the fix they're getting.
0 Kudos