cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

gary2

HOW LONG???

Is something wrong? I have been taking Chantix (as prescribed) for 10 days now. I'm still smoking and NOT noticing ANY difference. My question is... how long does Chantix take to work? Should it be helping after 10 days or should it take longer? Thank you for your help. -Gary-
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
gary2

Does a person typically keep smoking for 12 weeks while taking Chantix? Shouldn't you quit smoking sooner than that?
0 Kudos
miriam3

take it as prescribed. 12 weeks. thats how long it takes to work.
0 Kudos
miriam3

Hi Gary, it is important that you follow the Chantix directions. You only smoke during the first week when you start taking Chantix. You must stop smoking on your determined quit date which is 7 days from day one of chantix. go to the web site, it is an excellent support page and the information is in your chantix prescription packet. good luck.
0 Kudos
sheryl2

Gary, when I started it, I never noticed the difference either. It was more the change of my attitude and trying to cut back and telling myself I don't need this smoke and the Chantix did make it easier to not smoke as the brain was not getting the message I need nicotine. It was more my habit and enjoying it that made me continue to smoke. I finally realized this after about 12 days and instead of quitting on day 14 that I planned on, I postponed it by 2 days to cut back even more before I quit. Once I did quit, it was fairly easy as the Chantix really does curb the cravings. It's only the habit you have to contend with. So hopefully you have changed your smoking patterns by now and not having one right after a meal or when you first get up, etc. Hope this helps. Good luck. Sheryl
0 Kudos
gary2

Sheryl and Miriam, Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it. Tomorrow is Day 11 on Chantix and I plan to have my LAST smoke tonight. Tomorrow I plan on being my first smoke-free day.
0 Kudos
miriam3

Congratulations Gary. If I did it anyone can ........believe me. it was very very difficult for me and I am 8 months 11 days smoke-free.
0 Kudos
sheryl2

Woo hoo Gary............try and do something different tomorrow. If you usually stay in, go out somewhere, change your usual routine and I am sure you will find that the day will go by quickly and smoke free. Wishing you good luck and you have my total support.

Sheryl
0 Kudos
miriam3

I agree with Sheryl 100% for the first 2-3 weeks I completely changed my pattern of activities. I detoxed my car and my house to avoid the smelll triggers. I stopped going to a Cuban bakery I love because the coffee there was my #1 trigger. I used to stop there every day for cuban cafe. There are so many things that make us think of that cig. But you can do it, you can be smoke free too.
0 Kudos
sandy-martin

You have to just quit smoking the chantix doesnt make you quit it just makes you not miss it and you have no withdrawl.I have smoked for 17 years and tried to quit before never had any luck untill I used the chantix.You are to smoke for the first week and then you have a quit date.Then you just stop and the chantix does the rest.It worked great for me.
0 Kudos