cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

sheila12

DAY 13 ---HAVING A HARD TIME!!!!

Hi! I am new here- finally got my computer back working after trying to join last week..

I have been on Chantix for a month or so- and have been QUIT for 13 days.

The urges today & yesterday are so strong...
Thought they would not be so bad-

I AM STRUGGLING not to smoke. I"m getting thru the urges-the triggers-- but have realized it is the STRESS that I am having a hard time not to smoke thru...
Please help me if you have any ideas.

I have smoked for 27 years- I am about in tears as I write this- cuz I want to smoke.. ISN'T THAT THE CRAZIEST THING??? IS THIS NORMAL?? I even kind of miss them-- WHAT THE HECK AM I SAYING????

It is crazy how my mind is rationalizing to smoke--I am thinking dumb things- like- I can smoke right now and NO ONE would know...
OH---- Just need some help-
IM NOT GONNA SMOKE!!! IT IS NOT AN OPTION!!! I feel like I am going crazy and wondering if I got a placebo or something- it didn't seem this HARD last week....If anyone can help me- please ..Thank you for listening...
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

Hi Sheila, you smoked for 27 years, so for 27 years, you called cigarettes your "friend". You did EVERYTHING with a cigaretted I'll bet. You woke with them, you went to bed with them, after every meal, you had to have one, maybe even before meals you had to have one. You had to have one after sex, after a shower/ When somebody died, when somebody got married. For every major and minor event in your life, you smoked. So, now you wonder why you miss them? Of course you're going to miss them....at first.

Then you start to realize, that after smoking for 27 years, your sense of smell was diminished, your taste buds weren't the same, you stank, everything you smoked in or around stank too. Your breathing probably started getting bad, you may have started to cough a lot. And now you don't smoke any more, and your sense of smell is getting better, things taste better (or worse), you smell better, and so does everything around you. You will lose that horrible cough and your breathing will improve. So than you realize, what's to miss? So hang in there girl, everything you feel, is normal. You'll get through this. You just gotta hang tough for a little while longer. It does get better, trust me. I never wanted to quit, really, I didn't, I had to, so I went in to my quit kicking and screaming. So, just say to yourself, "If Barb can do this, so can I." Here's a little something to help make you feel better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3cRqUBPsv4
0 Kudos
angelia.w

Sheila,
Did you join the GET QUIT program at the Chantix website? It has REALLY helped me to be able to talk to a live quit coach during my stressful times.

In tears because you want to smoke so bad is not so crazy... You've smoked 1 year longer than me. In That many years you form a "relationship" with cigarettes, so your not CRAZY! They have been your Buddy, your one True friend"... WRONG !!!!! It's all a trick of the mind,and you just have to keep telling yourself that! I have just started my 5th week of Chantix, I quit on the 8th day. I had a few slips but was honest about it at my evening check in call, and I have not had another. and I have not even had a really bad craving since last week.

Hang in there! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
QUIT 22 Days
0 Kudos
kim27

Sheila

You can make it through this. Today is 4 weeks smoke-free for me and I can tell you that for me the end of week 2 and week 3 were the worst. I told my husband numerous times that it was really hard not to smoke. This week has been better and it gets better every day. Don't reach for the cigarettes and be strong and congratulations for making it this far.
0 Kudos
karen31

Hi Sheila,

I was in the same situation as you and I remember days 13 & 14 being the worst - it does get better. I am now on day 29 and the urges are much less and easier to deal with. I felt exactly like you do on those days - just get thru it any way you can and remember it does get better.
0 Kudos
jay

Sheila,
Hang tough, darlin', you can make it.......13 days, you're over the hump!!!!!!!!! It only takes 21 days to establish a habit, so in just 8 more days you will have established a new habit of NOT SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!! Today is day 1 of being smoke free for me!!!!!! Of course, I'm sure that it's going to be just a piece of cake for me, I mean I only smoked 2 1/2 packs a day for 36 years!!!!!!!!!!! At least I don't have to worry about going nuts, did that a long, long, time ago.......you just keep hanging tough, you can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
SaraSmile

What you're going through is sooooo NORMAL, Sheila! I quit smoking 52 days ago and I cried this morning! Not FOR cigarettes but BECAUSE of them. It saddens me that I let something like that control my life for so long! I have conquered all but my stress trigger! We just have to remember that smoking DOESN'T HELP, AT ALL, ONE BIT!
Be strong!
Sara
Prosper in peace
0 Kudos
maria9

Hang in there Sheila, you're not going crazy. I'm on Chantix for 9 weeks now. Chantix helps but now you're dealing with the mental aspect of smoking, like it will make a stressfull time better, IT WON'T. Don't give in to those urges it's those Nicodemons trying to get up back, realize that you are stronger than them and that it's just them tempting you. Believe me if you smoke again it will make you feel horrible that you gave into these "little creatures". Start reading as much as you can on the affects of smoking, knowledge is power, read, read, read. You can do this, there is no ques.
0 Kudos
gdaddy2

Sheila, if this string of caring responses to your post doesn't motivate you to quit I don't know what will. You've created a monster. You're not only quitting now for yourself but for those that offering to help you and the many that read this. YOU CAN DO IT. I love the term "nicodemons" because that is what they are. It took a while to develop your smoking habit and will take some time to learn some new, good, non-smoking habits. I'm 250 smoke free days and saved $750+.

Remember the pain you are suffering from now. Recalling this pain and anxiety will be a deterrent to NEVER have that next puff. My prayers are with you.
0 Kudos
bill-v_

Sheila....STOP IT ! You're giving power to the very thing you want to stop. Let it get to you, and you will fail. Stay strong (it's as easy as being weak), and you'll succeed. It's not the Chantix that will make you quit...it's only there to help. It is up to you, and I have a feeling you can do it. You have to KNOW you are a non-smoker now. No looking back, no fond memories (because there are none!!!). DO NOT GIVE POWER TO THE ADDICTION!

Bill V.
over 7 months
0 Kudos